diy solar

diy solar

Australia - Group buy - DEYE 5kw hybrid (Aus approved)

Did we ever figure out the difference between the SG01, SG03, SG04 and SG05 models?

I'm looking to import 2x from China for a 10kW panel installation. Can't tell what the difference is.
Just different generations as far as I can tell.

I have the SG04 5k model. The specs are all the same as the sg03. They are just smaller and no external fans.

The highest temperature (which is radiator temperature) I've seen is about 25-30* above ambient.

The internal cooling fan is very quiet and only runs when the inverter is running at high power level.

Nice, I'd be interested to hear what they sell for in Aus.

I have three of those ones here in NZ.
The price is very competitive with directly importing from China - plus you get a full warranty & service etc.
In short - i'd buy locally, much faster too.

Did we ever figure out the difference between the SG01, SG03, SG04 and SG05 models?

I'm looking to import 2x from China for a 10kW panel installation. Can't tell what the difference is.
*REALLY* hard answers to find on this - i've tried.
Anything below a SG04 cannot be installed in Australia (& Kiwi country?) now as it doesnt comply (depends on the grid provider here). SG04 vs SG05 just depends on the capacity - if you want an 8k 1 phase there's only the 05 unit approved.
There are significant feature & form factor differences between SG03 & SG04 of the same capacity (due to the regulations), different switches, different software & you cannot upgrade the internals to make an SG03 an SG04. (As per Deye)

Hi there...
Great posts and info on this thread.
I am looking at the 5kw myself as an ac coupled battery solution.
The thing I am trying to figure out from all the info is, the neutral earth Bonding in Australia.. Do we need the contactor for the n e bond in ups mode as the wiring rules say the neutral out of the inverter must be unswitched and bonded to installation neutral?
I have seen this ac out neutral Bonding in a few install manuals now and some inverters have this relay internal but have details for an external neutral connection.
Any info, confirmation or links would be muchly appreciated.
Cheers
Xandar

Hi there...
Great posts and info on this thread.
I am looking at the 5kw myself as an ac coupled battery solution.
The thing I am trying to figure out from all the info is, the neutral earth Bonding in Australia.. Do we need the contactor for the n e bond in ups mode as the wiring rules say the neutral out of the inverter must be unswitched and bonded to installation neutral?
I have seen this ac out neutral Bonding in a few install manuals now and some inverters have this relay internal but have details for an external neutral connection.
Any info, confirmation or links would be muchly appreciated.
Cheers
Xandar
I understand Australia uses the same (MEN/TN-C-S) earthing system as New Zealand.

If that's the case in your situation, there should be a permanent link between N & E in your main switchboard and therefore you don't need a N-E contactor, as long as this link is maintained when you lose your grid connection and the inverter is supplying your essential loads.

It is best to talk to your electrician about this as it is safety critical. I know this is a DIY forum, but it is very much illegal for someone without electrical registration to do this sort of work (installing LVAC inverters and making changes to domestic switchboards etc, even for off-grid) in Australia.

I understand Australia uses the same (MEN/TN-C-S) earthing system as New Zealand.

If that's the case in your situation, there should be a permanent link between N & E in your main switchboard and therefore you don't need a N-E contactor, as long as this link is maintained when you lose your grid connection and the inverter is supplying your essential loads.

It is best to talk to your electrician about this as it is safety critical. I know this is a DIY forum, but it is very much illegal for someone without electrical registration to do this sort of work (installing LVAC inverters and making changes to domestic switchboards etc, even for off-grid) in Australia.
That made sense to me.. The rules say the neutral on ac out has to be bonded back to main neutral (therefore the main MEN) and not to be broken on the ac out side of the inverter.. I just could not find anything locking in (or out) the need for a contactor in Australia .The victron MP2 has that built in but it also has a setting for an externally connected neutral negating the need of the contactor.
I hear you on the legality of doing the work, but as most find the response is "Just put a Tesla in" or they have nfi about the technical stuff or are not willing to share knowledge.. To quote another post sort of... Cookie cutter installs..

Hey - everything has been running well for a couple months now.

My inverters dont talk to my BMS, and there is ABSOLUTELY NO NEED TO. I use a raspberry Pi to get info from the BMS & put it into Home Assistant dashboard to check all the details.

My Deye units are configured with max charge/discharge rates - 70A each, so max possibly would be 140A. I've only got 4kw panels max on one - so thats 74A anyway. Each unit pulls max 5kw - 100A max anyway, for a 280Ah pack thats fine.
The inverters allow custom voltage settings for charging (it assumes SLA battery when doing this?) - which I set to 55.2 for Absorb & Equalization - which actually gives 54.7v at the battery (just an odd 0.5v diff for some reason). So it hits 3.418v per cell on charge. Float is then at 54.8 - 54.3v at the battery which is 3.39v/cell. This works beautifully & the charge curve is nice & all behaves well.

I'm super, SUPER happy with the DEYE units - the support/company is a bit meh to deal with, but the product itself is flawless.

The only thing i've had to do is add fans to the external heatsink - 2x92mm ultra silent PC fans are perfect. It was getting pretty warm until full charge on a hot day - I prefer to keep temps to a minimal for longevity.

Hello please how to you get to BMS and Inverter data to home assistant, i want to do that

Agreed, I'm actually using VRLA batteries for now, got 40kWh worth of second hand ones for scrap value, so I need an inverter with battery temperature monitoring. So other than the Deye/Sunsynk, it's really only Victron, Selectronic or SMA Sunny Island that I've found so far which have the features I need. And total cost will end up being 2-5 times that of a Deye/Sunsynk by the time I buy the battery inverter and an MPPT solar charge controller.

View attachment 81088
Are you still running these batteries? I am running same brand but can’t find any more second hand ones. I am using selectronic sp pro.

Thank you for all of your information. I have two questions:
1. How much AC coupled PV can the Deye 5kW support?
2. Can two units be configured for a split-phase system, i.e. 180 degrees between phases?
I cannot find this information in the manual.

Looking to purchase the DEYE SUN-8K-SG05LP1-AU

Where is the best place to buy? Joule Power or is there another importer that will sell to the home owner?

Happy to buy on Alibaba if the price is significantly better. Does the EU suffix matter? I'm unclear if the EU and AU models are different, mainly for CEC requirements.

Last edited:
Looking to purchase the DEYE SUN-8K-SG05LP1-AU

Where is the best place to buy? Joule Power or is there another importer that will sell to the home owner?

Happy to buy on Alibaba if the price is significantly better. Does the EU suffix matter? I'm unclear if the EU and AU models are different, mainly for CEC requirements.
How many?

Back