diy solar

diy solar

auto charging a LiFeP04 from the grid?

brewmium

What r u new? Yea.
Hi. I know this is a bit off topic, since it may not include solar... but, maybe not.

I am going to use a power wall (probably from BigBatteries.com) as an all day UPS for my computer, at some point sitting down stream from my solar setup, but if I want to get it going today, How would I charge that thing, from the wall... automatically, as needed?

thanks,
-eric

It’s a 24v battery bank. I see what you are talking about, just at 24v.

Here’s my use case: I want to be able to keep up with 700watts of office. So, I will have the 3KwH battery bank, into a 2000watt pure sign inverter, feeding the office. I’d like to have a charger that mostly catches up with that... or maybe not, as I do have off time to catch up on charging...

So, I guess I need to better understand what 700watts of output means in terms of charging input.
:)

would suggest a Samlex EVO 2224 which has dual AC input, 1 for genset, 1 for grid. It can be programmed to sense the grid and has a built in ATS (Auto Transfer Switch) all that is needed is a line from inverter to grid 120V/20A plug for the grid side. Priority can be set to Batt 1st, Grid Second or vice a versa. They also have a Solar input port you can attach a Solar Charge controller to. The next version up from 2200W @ 24VDC is the EVO-4024, there is no 3kw option for 24VDC. Samlex, simple, reliable and well backed & supported.

See links in my signature for more info as well.
Hope this helps, Good Luck.
Steve

Thanks for the link @Steve_S , but that’s too rich for my blood. ;)

I was thinking of DIYing up a raspberry pie, high/low voltage sense, and a switch to energize a 24v charger. :)

how about something like this , will do you ups function /transfer switch as well charge battery
https://www.aimscorp.net/24-volt-pure-sine-inverter-charger.html you find them much cheaper on amazon
  • 2000 watt low frequency inverter
  • 6000 watt surge for 20 seconds 300% surge capability
  • Battery priority selector
  • AC direct connect terminal Block
  • Marine coated and protected
  • Multi stage smart charger 30 Amp for gel, AGM, lead and lithium LiFePO4
  • Remote panel available
  • Auto frequency
  • 10msec typical transfer time
  • Selectable 25W power save mode (hibernation)
  • 7 battery type settings for charger
  • Automatic transfer switch

thank you for the link @David in nh , may still be a bit rich for me, especially since I have everything but the grid power to charge battery purchased and ready to go. :)

Okay @David in nh , I'm chickening out on the DIY charger for my new batteries... have returned the 3000w inverter, and ordered this. net +$500 cost. Thank you for the pointer to this, I'll let everyone know when i have this up and running.

Back