diy solar

diy solar

Automatic Battery Bank Disconnect?

BroncoMike11

Hi All,

I'm finding that rebooting my charge controllers everyday greatly improves performance. Doing this manually every morning, disconnect PV arrays then disconnect CCs from battery's then reverse it back on.

Wondering if there is a device I can install that will do this at a set time every day, it would disconnect the battery bank at day 2 or 3 am when there is no power out of PV arrays. It would turn off for a minute then turn back on.

Any ideas or suggestions?

BTW: I am not aware of anything like what you are talking about, but you could cobble something together with timers and relays.

I have a pair of Epever 80 amp Tracer AN. Seems I see quite a few posts around odd behaviors from the Epever CCs. It worked fine for a couple of months, but now likes a reboot.

I have a pair of Epever 80 amp Tracer AN. Seems I see quite a few posts around odd behaviors from the Epever CCs. It worked fine for a couple of months, but now likes a reboot.
Can you share more details about how performance ‘improves’ after a reboot?

The amps coming from the PV array will stay at just a couple of amps, but after a reboot it will climb to double digits.

The amps coming from the PV array will stay at just a couple of amps, but after a reboot it will climb to double digits.
Wow, that sounds like something seriously wrong. Like the SCC misreading battery voltage.

Next time you’re going to perform a reboot, can you record all displayed parameters including battery voltage before and after?

Do you have an MT50 monitor or another way to read charger state (Boost or Float)?

I noticed that after reboot Epever CC enters Boost state. This can explain the amperage difference if it was in float state before reboot.

UPDATE: Found the issue.

I run two identical arrays to two separate charge controllers. I thought I was careful not to mix wires from array to CCs. I also assumed that the negative wire from array 1 and positive wire from array 2 wouldn't charge since its not a complete circuit. But I was wrong. The electrons still flow. So the lights saying panels are active are on despite being separate circuits.

Once I traced the wires and found that I mixed I fixed the wiring. Ever since correcting that the controllers function correctly. No more resetting everyday.

So far I haven't seen any issues or damage from the mixup.

Thought I'd share incase anyone thought wrongly also.

Mike

Back