diy solar

diy solar

Automatic battery switcher for dissimilar batteries?

natdak

I am being offered many used truck batteries for free from a neighbour that repairs trucks at a volvo factory. The batteries are 12v 235ah volvo lead acid batteries that often still have quite a bit of life left. I know that one shouldnt connect dissimilar batteries in series or parallel but is there a device that can automatically switch between batteries when they become full/empty? 4 or more batteries would be perfect and the switch would have to handle 160a, but preferably more.
If such a thing exists at a reasonable cost, I think it has very big implications, not just for me but for the environment, waste reduction and peoples wallets.
Another, less favorable option would be if there is a manual changeover switch with at least 4 inputs and 160a+.

I'm not aware of one, but I'm sure one exists or can be diy'ed certainly.

Just be careful when talking "environment". MANY people try to pawn off used lead-acid batteries as being "friendly to the environment", when in reality the only thing friendly was that your buddy at the Volvo shop is now relieved of having to dispose/recycle those batteries properly. Now it is in YOUR hands. Mission accomplished.

Note too that there is a limit to how much lead-acid you can store on your property before it becomes taggable as hazardous-waste and must be dealt with as such. So perhaps not so friendly to your neighbors if you stockpile them.

I'm certain you are acting responsibly. It is just a fact of life that there are many who try to profit from irresponsible e-waste stream diversion, and put the onus of proper disposal into the hands of an unknowing public disguised as being environmentally friendly.

I'm not aware of one, but I'm sure one exists or can be diy'ed certainly.

Just be careful when talking "environment". MANY people try to pawn off used lead-acid batteries as being "friendly to the environment", when in reality the only thing friendly was that your buddy at the Volvo shop is now relieved of having to dispose/recycle those batteries properly. Now it is in YOUR hands. Mission accomplished.

Note too that there is a limit to how much lead-acid you can store on your property before it becomes taggable as hazardous-waste and must be dealt with as such. So perhaps not so friendly to your neighbors if you stockpile them.

I'm certain you are acting responsibly. It is just a fact of life that there are many who try to profit from irresponsible e-waste stream diversion, and put the onus of proper disposal into the hands of an unknowing public disguised as being environmentally friendly.
Thanks for the advice Substrate, I will stay on guard.
I trust him actually, I live in Sweden where people have more money than time and both private people and businesses are throwing out crazy amounts of often perfectly good stuff. He says they replace the battery everytime a truck comes in for service. And at least i will dispose of it properly when theyre dead, which is free here.

Back