diy solar

diy solar

Automatic (dis)charge based on dynamic prices

BigWill

Hi,
This is my first post, for my first battery build (please be gentle)
The goal is to build a battery system to take advantage of dynamic pricing.
Where I live (Netherlands), there is a large difference between the energy prices throughout the day (sometimes negative).
I have a dynamic pricing contract. The price changes every hour and is published at 13:00 for the next day.
See https://www.easyenergy.com/nl/energietarieven for an example of the current (and past) prices.
It is also allowed to feed back into the energy system (sell previously stored electricity at a higher price).
I have the programming skills to extract these prices and I think I am handy enough to follow the build tutorials.
My question is, how do I setup the automatically (dis)chargeing? I assume I need to send a command to the inverter, but I am not sure which manufacturers support this and which protocols I can use? Any feedback and suggestion is appreciated.

Most of the higher end Inverters in the US are UL1741SA compliant and generally have a feature called Peak Load Shave for Time-of-Use metering, but in many cases it is a Static, Time Based function. You are looking for something dynamic.
For example I'm using a Schneider Conext XW+ 6848 it has a somewhat proprietary ModBus communication system but can be tied in with an RS485 PLC. Since Schneider publishes the ModBus maps it would in fact be possible to send Enable/Disable commands based on your own program that integrates electrical rates for the next day.
Not sure what Brands are available in the Netherlands, you most likely can find something like Schneider or an SMA that has Peak Load Shave built in already. Then all you have to do find out what ModBus address you need to send the info to. Enable or Disable can be as simple as sending a 0 or 1.

Believe SMA Solar Technology inverter/charger (Niestetal, Germany) can do what you want.

My charger has 2 programmatic controls.
boost=on,off where off means float
power=on, off
Normally the controls are triggered by systemd timers.

Power off at 7:00am and power on at 7:00pm
Boost on at 12:00am and boost off when the battery is fully charged(between 5:30 and 6:30am).

But there is also logic in the main loop to turn things on or off if key battery indicators depart from normal.
The main loop polls the jbd bms using jbdtool.

Thanks for the replies! This should be enough to get me going.
Regarding the impact on the market, this of course will be very limited. I can only storage a very modest amount of energy.
Also, I guess you could say it makes the market more stable. It makes demand more insync with generation (especially renewables).
But to be honest, I do not really care that much about being green. But it would be cool to have a small project, learn some new stuff and save some money in the process.

Back