diy solar

diy solar

Automatic Transfer Switch and home transfer switch

ReganKevin

I have the same ATS you had in your video. I since upgraded to a home transfer switch in order to run multiple circuits at once.... safely. The one thing I miss is the automatic switch to grid once my battery is depleted. Is there a way to get the house breaker to not pop when the ATS switches over to grid? It seems as if there is two neutrals, hots, or grounds dead heading into each other and popping the breaker every time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 43
I have the same ATS you had in your video. I since upgraded to a home transfer switch in order to run multiple circuits at once.... safely. The one thing I miss is the automatic switch to grid once my battery is depleted. Is there a way to get the house breaker to not pop when the ATS switches over to grid? It seems as if there is two neutrals, hots, or grounds dead heading into each other and popping the breaker every time.

"Is there a way to get the house breaker to not pop when the ATS switches over to grid?"
That's not supposed to happen! A transfer switch should be "break before make"
You're lucky if a breaker tripped without frying the inverter.

I once wired a DPDT relay to switch something and I think it twisted so one pole connected one source while the other pole connected the other, and it tripped a breaker.

Normally all grounds connect together and all neutrals connect together. Hots would transfer between grid and generator/inverter.

Your photo appears to show a manual (not automatic) transfer switch allowing individual circuits to be connected to either inverter (through breaker in transfer switch) or grid (through breaker in main panel.)

"automatic switch to grid"
You do say "automatic"

Do you also have an "ATS", automatic transfer switch?

If flipping individual switches in that manual transfer switch causes a breaker to trip, could be something is wired incorrectly.

If you also have an automatic transfer switch, in addition to the manual transfer switch fed by many individual breakers, how is the ATS wired?

Here one way to do it.... LOL!View attachment 26377

I actually think this is a pretty cool way to go!!
It gives you access to both sources at all times.
It's phool-proof.
It's clear as heck.

The only improvement I can think of would be some sort of idiot lights on the two source outlets so at a glance it's understood which are available.

Back