diy solar

diy solar

Automatic Transfer Switch Ground/Neutral Bonding

steviep19

For years I've been running my setup using Xantrex 808-0915 automatic transfer switches.

I have a single floor Ranch home, so most of my wiring is in my basement and very easily accessible. Instead of creating a critical loads panel, I instead created an off grid panel, and installed these small 15 amp automatic transfer switches in line at the nearest spot to the mains panel, splitting the existing run. My thinking was if we ever sold the house, I simply remove the transfer switch, and reconnect the existing run. I can also use smart switches or the breaker panel to move circuits off and on grid.

I recently tested a new one before installing it, and much to my surprise it switches Hot and Neutral as I expected, but the grounds are connected.

The ground's and neutral's are bonded at the mains panel for on grid operations. They're also bonded at the off grid inverter for Off Grid operations.

I've never had any issues but could this be a potential problem or am I overthinking this?

Here's a schematic of how it's wired

Attachments

• Solar Grounding.png
    Solar Grounding.png
    49.2 KB · Views: 29
Normal and ordinary. The power source will commonly have the N-G bond and each bond is isolated from the other by the switch.

For years I've been running my setup using Xantrex 808-0915 automatic transfer switches.

I have a single floor Ranch home, so most of my wiring is in my basement and very easily accessible. Instead of creating a critical loads panel, I instead created an off grid panel, and installed these small 15 amp automatic transfer switches in line at the nearest spot to the mains panel, splitting the existing run. My thinking was if we ever sold the house, I simply remove the transfer switch, and reconnect the existing run. I can also use smart switches or the breaker panel to move circuits off and on grid.

I recently tested a new one before installing it, and much to my surprise it switches Hot and Neutral as I expected, but the grounds are connected.

The ground's and neutral's are bonded at the mains panel for on grid operations. They're also bonded at the off grid inverter for Off Grid operations.

I've never had any issues but could this be a potential problem or am I overthinking this?

Here's a schematic of how it's wired
Yes, it is a potential problem.
It creates a parallel path between the neutral and ground conductors. A percentage of the neutral current can flow on the ground conductor.

Back