diy solar

diy solar

Automatic transfer switch help

slowbutsure

Hi, I need some help understanding how an automatic transfer switch works with an inverter please.

Does the inverter connect to the transfer switch?

Or do you need cables from inverter to appliance AND from the transfer switch to the appliance?

Thanks.

A transfer switch usually has two input sections and one output section. each input is from a different power source: e.g. grid and inverter. The output goes to a single load OR load center (a circuit breaker panel, for instance). Does that help?

The appliance is connected to the output of the transfer switch. And it has two inputs to be chosen from. To feed the appliance.

The diagram shows a typical setup to integrate a transfer switch into a 30amp rv ac distribution panel.
Code:
ac_domain {
                       A<-inlet<-pedestal
                       T
    |<-master_breaker<-S<-inverter
    |->branch_breaker->branch_circuit
}
Hope that helps.

So the inverter connects to the transfer switch. Got it, thanks. I couldn’t see the wood for the trees on this one.

The diagram shows a typical setup to integrate a transfer switch into a 30amp rv ac distribution panel.
Code:
ac_domain {
                       A<-inlet<-pedestal
                       T
    |<-master_breaker<-S<-inverter
}
Hope that helps.
It's not a diagram for me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220422-093847_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220422-093847_Chrome.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 10
So the inverter connects to the transfer switch. Got it, thanks. I couldn’t see the wood for the trees on this one.
There is a product called an inverter charger that integrates an inverter, charger and automatic transfer switch into one unit.
If you need 2 of the three functions I suggest you look at an inverter charger.
Code:
ac_domain {
    |<-master_breaker<-inverter_charger<-inlet<-pedestal
}

The Victron Quattro will accept two AC inputs. The Quattro acts as an automatic transfer switch between them.

The Victron Multiplus has only one AC input. In my RV trailer, the automatic transfer switch is upstream of the Multiplus.

Back