diy solar

diy solar

Automatic transfer switch

Ruben

Hi guys

im looking for a dual power automatic transfer switch
so i can switch over when my solar system gets low on battery power , gives then a signal to the ATS
switches over to grid power , while batteries charge

220v and amps should be around 125/150

I was thinking about that moes ats but its only capable up to 50 amps

No , using only 220 v in this case and i am pulling around 125 amps from my batteries thru the inverter to power my ac units

something doesn't add up.
125 amps@220VAC = 27500 watts.
To only draw 125 amps from your battery bank that would suggest the battery voltage is slightly higher than the ac voltage.

My setup below

setup is 24v
10x 240 watt solar panels
24x 190 ah batteries (12 pairs in series)
Inverter 24v to 220v continious 6000 w / peak 12000 watt
Inverter 24v to 110v continious 3000w / peak
6000watt
Victron 150/100 charge controller
Aili batt monitor with 500 amp shunt

yesterday i connected
1x 24000 btu ac
1x 9000 btu ac
Via the batt monitor i see both ac are pulling
around 105/110 amps

i wanted a ATS , so when i get to 50% battery it
will switch to grid power

hope this info helps

Sorry, I don't know anything about transfer switches outside of North America.

You could use a low voltage disconnect to cut the power to the inverter.
That should make it switch.
Now you just need a normal transfer switch.

Maybe look at a Generac contactor for that high current. I have one installed that switches between the Generac LPG generator and 230v grid supply.

Does anyone have any information about if the Generac system can be used in the Southern California Edison area of Orange County?unty

I'm seeing a lot of budget-priced DIN rail mount transfer switches on eBay:

Not necessarily "Automatic" transfer switches, mind you, but shall we say "Motorized"

e.g.

"2.Suggesting add one over&under voltage protector to circuit.
Rated control voltage US:AC220~230V: If the product is using under the condition of voltage less than 190V, it will burn.
Rated control voltage US:AC110V: If the product is using under the condition of voltage less than 95V, it will burn.

Voltage protector is sold in my store."

i.e. "If you don't purchase additional products from me, I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll burn your house down"

But at least one that is (probably) UL listed and appears to be a bargain:

100amps * 24vcd = 2,400 watts....that is not that much of a draw.

I would switch over to a good hybrid inverter with a critical loads panel(or whole house panel to inverter the if house is small). Most hybrid inverters will have solar input, grid input, gen input, and an output. The new inverter will do all the deciding for you. There is setup and electrical understanding but it will be in the manual you can read ahead of time.

The Transfer switch will likely end up costing $1000 and for $2000-$3000 you can have a totally automatic system.

Just food for thought....I had a whole house generator and transfer switch at my last house and new house I have a hybrid inverter as above.

During power outage solar works with this setup.

Here is a good like of the available hybrid inverters.

Back