diy solar

diy solar

Automatic Transfer Switch

Dennis 1

I found this Moes Dual Power Controller 50A 5500 Watt Automatic Switch. I was wondering if this could be hooked to a 15 amp breaker in my circuit breaker panel which supplies power to the switch for my boiler pump motor which is about 225 watts. I have a 2000 watt inverter and a 100AH 12V lithium battery If so how would I wire this
in? Any help with this would be really appreciated.

It is hard to tell from your description what is is hooked to what in the grand scheme of things. I don;t know where the inverter is connected or to which breaker. If you can post a simple picture or diagram it might be worth a 1000 words.

As wrote, yes you can hook up the switch to a 15 amp breaker. Keep in mind that the transfer switch will be 120v x 2 (240v) and your breaker is probably single 120v.. A lot of assumptions here..

An Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS) sits after the Inverter and switches the source of AC between the Inverter and the Grid. When the battery voltage is above X the ATS sends Inverter output to the AC load. When the battery voltage drops below X the ATS switches to send Grid power to the AC load.

So the ATS connections are:
-Inverter in
-Grid in
-Load out
-Battery sensor connections

In your example we would have to assume that you are powering your boiler pump normally by the AC from your solar inverter. If so then you would put the ATS between the inverter and the pump. You would connect the 15 amp breaker to the grid input on the ATS. When the solar system battery power goes below X the ATS would switch from Inverter to grid.

i did mine with a inverter with built in ATS but adding ATS does look like a good option using the parts you have . i just basically cut the line between the fuse panel and the boiler and added it there here is my set up my boiler /ats i also will be adding a caution label to the electrical box on the furnace that it has a a battery back up , also make sure the the ATS is before the emergency shut off for the boiler and after the fuse panel in my case my house has two one above the boiler and one upstairs in the living space

Last edited:
Hi all, just new to the Forum. I've recently purchased a couple of these ATS units for upcoming projects.
I'm wanting to incorporate fully automatic AC and DC charging, not just automatic transfer of the 240V AC load supply in my systems. I'm planning on using a typical MPPT to charge 24V LifePo4 packs to run the inverter and so on. Since the MPPT is taking care of the solar charging duties, I'd like the ATS to switch on an AC/DC charger when grid connected to take over charging when the sun isn't shining, to help recover the batteries quicker, or I am better off just waiting for the sun to do it's thing instead?
Does anybody see an issue with connecting the AC/DC charger on the 240V output of the ATS (which would be also connected to the inverter output/AC load circuit)? Only potential issue I can see unless I'm missing something, is when the ATS switches back to battery power, the charger output would essentially cycle back around via the batteries and inverter, powering itself and inefficiently waste energy instead of peak charging the batteries.
In this case, it would make sense to only power the AC/DC charger when using grid power, so how would I go about doing this automatically? Of course there are Hybrid inverters that take care of the whole thing, but I'm exploring how to do it with this ATS.
Thanks all.

An Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS) sits after the Inverter and switches the source of AC between the Inverter and the Grid. When the battery voltage is above X the ATS sends Inverter output to the AC load. When the battery voltage drops below X the ATS switches to send Grid power to the AC load.

So the ATS connections are:
-Inverter in
-Grid in
-Load out
-Battery sensor connections

In your example we would have to assume that you are powering your boiler pump normally by the AC from your solar inverter. If so then you would put the ATS between the inverter and the pump. You would connect the 15 amp breaker to the grid input on the ATS. When the solar system battery power goes below X the ATS would switch from Inverter to grid.
Yes it is on it's own dedicated 15 amp circuit breaker and the 14 AWG wire goes to a switch the can turn the pump off if needed, it is a 110 line. It sounds like what you are saying is to run a wire from the circuit breaker to the "public power" on the ATS and from the "output"on the ATS to the boiler pump switch and from the inverter to one of the plugs on the inverter. Do I have that right?

• Circuit breaker or any outlet really, to the Public Power terminals.
  • AC out from the inverter to the Inverter terminals.
  • Output terminals to the boiler pump.
  • Small wire from the battery to the Battery terminals for voltage sensing.
Here's how I wired mine up when I first got it.

Solar Power v1.jpg

• Circuit breaker or any outlet really, to the Public Power terminals.
  • AC out from the inverter to the Inverter terminals.
  • Output terminals to the boiler pump.
  • Small wire from the battery to the Battery terminals for voltage sensing.
Here's how I wired mine up when I first got it.

View attachment 22838
Thank you so much, by the way how do you like the Mighty Max battery I just bought the 100A 12V lithium hope it will be alright.

I have a three year old 35Ah one that is still going strong running lights in the yard (it's a big yard). the 100Ah ones are new but I'm happy with them so far. I only have the AGM's. Their support is great.

I have a three year old 35Ah one that is still going strong running lights in the yard (it's a big yard). the 100Ah ones are new but I'm happy with them so far. I only have the AGM's. Their support is great.
Thats good to know, thanks again

Hi all, just new to the Forum. I've recently purchased a couple of these ATS units for upcoming projects.
I'm wanting to incorporate fully automatic AC and DC charging, not just automatic transfer of the 240V AC load supply in my systems. I'm planning on using a typical MPPT to charge 24V LifePo4 packs to run the inverter and so on. Since the MPPT is taking care of the solar charging duties, I'd like the ATS to switch on an AC/DC charger when grid connected to take over charging when the sun isn't shining, to help recover the batteries quicker, or I am better off just waiting for the sun to do it's thing instead?
Does anybody see an issue with connecting the AC/DC charger on the 240V output of the ATS (which would be also connected to the inverter output/AC load circuit)? Only potential issue I can see unless I'm missing something, is when the ATS switches back to battery power, the charger output would essentially cycle back around via the batteries and inverter, powering itself and inefficiently waste energy instead of peak charging the batteries.
In this case, it would make sense to only power the AC/DC charger when using grid power, so how would I go about doing this automatically? Of course there are Hybrid inverters that take care of the whole thing, but I'm exploring how to do it with this ATS.
Thanks all.

I have been trying to figure out the same thing and can’t seem to find the answer while searching. I have an ATS but am trying to use the AC to DC charger ONLY when it is switched to grid power. When it is on Battery, I want to use the MPPT and panels to recharge, not the AC to DC charger. Is this possible? Thanks in advance.

I have been trying to figure out the same thing and can’t seem to find the answer while searching. I have an ATS but am trying to use the AC to DC charger ONLY when it is switched to grid power. When it is on Battery, I want to use the MPPT and panels to recharge, not the AC to DC charger. Is this possible? Thanks in advance.
Not sure this is what you need, but looks close. Skip to 10:30 min mark.

It sounds like you want to run the pump direct off the inverter with the solar keeping the battery charged... is that right? Then if the battery gets low you want to power up the battery charger from utility power. yes?

Not sure you need a transfer switch so much as you need a power switch to turn on the charger when the battery gets low.

Back