diy solar

diy solar

Available Panels that can withstand concentrating solar

bengelha

As a hobbyist, can any of the current (common) market solar panels withstand/produce in concentrating solar environment - say 30-60X? I'm aware heating issue will arise. I'm just wondering if anything off the shelf could work, and if so, if anyone has a recommendation.

Heating won't be a problem. Melting will.

No panel on the market will sustain even a 2X concentration. It will suffer reduced life and efficiency loss.

During 2017 Hurricane Harvey we thankfully did not lose power as the sun was behind the clouds for a full week. No way I had enough solar to power my house for multiple days. During 2008 Hurricane Ike we lost power for 10 days however was only cloudy for a couple of days.

I am likewise contemplating adding concentrating reflectors (foil faced foamboard) only for use with cloudy days. The hope is to boost the output of the 400W panels from less than 100W to over 200W.

Anyone ever attempt this?

Attachments

• cart.jpg
    cart.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I haven't, but it's a viable concept. A cloudy day with snow on the ground has a similar effect.

There was a famous power plant which concentrated sun onto conventional panels.
Power output degraded rapidly, like 20% decrease each year.

"say 30-60X"

Absolutely not.
You could buy individual cells and experiment with them, providing cooling of the silicon back. Probably they won't last long.
There are special cells (usually other than Silicon, I think) intended for that sort of concentration.

I think 3x concentration without tracking would be feasible, from a mechanical construction point of view. Two flat mirrors and panel in between, forming a trough shaped reflector. No need to track East-West (extend mirror beyond end of single row of panels.) Reflectors wider than panels, so regardless of season their reflected light falls on panel. But you would have the problem of how well cells held up. Probably enhanced thermal design, not using conventional plastic backing. But they may still be degraded by light, UV especially, if not heat.

I have read that P-type vs N-type cells have different rate of degradation.

It seems to me that the concern is about driving the cells too hard, and I think that would be valid.

However, would it be that difficult to arrange a reflector(s), such that there reflections only hit the panels during the morning and evening hours when the panels are starving anyway?
I'm thinking of two reflectors that stand vertically, but offset from the panel a distance equal to their height.
-At midday, with the sun shining straight down, the reflected light will no impact the panels, resulting in no degradation.
-At 9am or 4pm, the light will be double (minus the portion lost in the mirror's efficiency)

Aluminum foil with door panel backing should be sufficient and cheap enough for a trial run. I just have to get this stupid monitoring software to work first.

I did some experimenting and yes, a reflector can help in early morning. I added between 15% and 20% to overall production with this set up, but wind was a problem. In the end, I just added 2 more panels.
Yes, this.

Panels are so cheap at the moment that it is likely not economically viable to add mirrors and concentrators. If you need to catch early morning light, then add solar tracking to always optimally position the panels.

True, having extra panels in a different orientation is likely cheaper these days. I think @Hedges has this if I remember correctly.

Yes, multiple strings of different orientation in parallel on an MPPT input.
They are of same voltage, and I've read that testing shows about 2% lower output than if each has its own MPPT.
That's assuming no shading. Few panels out of a long string shaded is similar, but heavy shading would cause its output to be lost.

It seems to me that the concern is about driving the cells too hard, and I think that would be valid.

However, would it be that difficult to arrange a reflector(s), such that there reflections only hit the panels during the morning and evening hours when the panels are starving anyway?
I'm thinking of two reflectors that stand vertically, but offset from the panel a distance equal to their height.
-At midday, with the sun shining straight down, the reflected light will no impact the panels, resulting in no degradation.
-At 9am or 4pm, the light will be double (minus the portion lost in the mirror's efficiency)

Aluminum foil with door panel backing should be sufficient and cheap enough for a trial run. I just have to get this stupid monitoring software to work first.

I've thought about that before, but as the reflection moves (like a shadow) across the panel, when only some cells in the series string that makes up a panel get extra light, current is limited to what's made by the other cells. If mirror was no larger than panel, there would be some orientations when reflected light hits panel at an oblique angle and covers a larger area, so all of panel could be uniformly illuminated for a period of time.

An oversize reflector could boost light for more hours. A curved reflector could boost light by a smaller amount over a larger area but not uniform. With one row of panels, reflector needs to extend farther East/West so none of the panels is left out of the enhancement morning/evening. I think a 1-axis tracker is needed to make even that perform well.

A diffuse reflector (white surface) would perform similar to curved reflector. The Bifacial panels take advantage of that. The guys up north have considered that snow can be a reflector for bifacials or for front side with steep array.

I gave up on the ideas of tracking or enhancement and just use extra panels.

I gave up on the ideas of tracking or enhancement and just use extra panels.
This appears to be a 3-d chess level of challenge for each individual installation.

I mounted the panels on the side of my house, and get clear sun up till about 2pm. At that point, one corner of one panel gets shadowed by an eave. About two blocks get covered. I tried to ascertain what it would take to get some reflected light onto that one corner using a small mirror. Not easy.

I think it would be easier to slide all the panels away from the wall about six inches.

Painting the wall in a reflective coating might be a solution, except that I'd have to get a divorce first.

Back