diy solar

diy solar

Average Consumption?

How are you guys running a house on 3-6 KWh a day?
My security system and TVs use more than that??

Like I mentioned in my power audit: no heating/cooking/etc. using electric unless it's summer. In winter I only use electric to run a few small pumps for the floor heating/wood burner (well under 1kWh/day), the well (<1kW pump, running well under one hour a day), sewer fan (less than 800Wh/day) and lighting (all LED, at most 1kWh a day). In winter this runs off of the 3kVA Multiplus II (was a Phoenix), with 10W idle consumption and >90% efficiency.

If your monitors and TVs are all LED, there's no way they are using 3-6KW/day unless you have like 10 of them and leave them on 24/7!!
It’s a 4000 sq ft house so yes it has a lot bulbs, TVs and monitors.
I was also be facetious.

I can't imagine 13 yr old walking that crossing alone. That's crazy... you gotta love that era, free range kids. Town has grown but it's still small.Baja desert races bring huge crowds.
Yup. Free range to the max...more like a gang of delinquents.
Another kid I went to school with had an uncle that owned a liquor store about 6 blocks from the border. We could catch the greyhound in El Centro for a round trip ride to Calexico for 25 cents and walk the 6 blocks to his uncle's liquor store. Coming back each with a bottle of tequila stuffed in our pants was exciting for a 13 year old. The guy at the counter would ask every time how old I was and I'd say 18. He'd stick my bottle in a brown bag hand it to me with a grin and off we'd go! Sometimes we'd stop and get a supply of firecrackers and m80s if we were feeling like really bold smugglers. I think I only had 1 bottle of tequila confiscated at the border in all the trips we made.
2 of my best friends dads growing up were Border Patrol agents and 1 of them was the senior agent at the Calexico sector the whole time I was going through high school. Name dropping at the border helped in certain situations.
My sister was also Border Patrol in the Yuma sector for 10 years.
The last time I walked into Mexicali was in 2000, when I was in Calexico for my brother's funeral. My sister and I walked across at about 9 p.m. and walked those streets til almost midnight, before going back across to our motel. Nobody messed with either one of us. She knew the sector head very well. My brother's wife was from Mexicali originally.
Back then (the late 60s) I think Mexicali was about 500,000 people. Today it's over 1,000,000. A lot has changed in those 50+ years on the border, but one thing that hasn't changed is the Imperial Vally depends a lot on business from there, since it makes up over 80% of the regions population on both sides of the border. The Imperial County only has about 180,000 people. Now I can't even cross the border, since I don't have a passport. :(

As I've been planning a potential move off-grid I have become very curious to know more about the average annual consumption for those who are already doing it. Obviously minimizing consumption is key to success, but how has that worked out for everyone? Would really love to hear from some folks who wouldn't mind sharing their numbers. I realize it's all relative, but I'm still interested.
If your energy needs were comparable to the average that was mentioned before (7 kilowatts), and if you were to utilize solar panels with a wattage of 200, then you would need approximately 35 panels in order to move your home off the grid. Or, if you used solar panels with a capacity of 350 watts each, you would require 20 panels.

Back