diy solar

Average Consumption?

5Kwh/day - near Bancroft Ontario powering:

-1/2 hp jet pump
-U/V water filter (24/7)
-starlink internet (24/7)
-14cf fridge
-lights and various small electronics including laptops/computers/phones/etc

Using propane for water heater andd stove/oven. Maybe in a year or two I'll upgrade and replace those, but for now just dealing with refilling a 100lb propane tank once a season.

Last edited:
I produce 18,000kwh/year and with losses am able to consume 15,000kwh/year on a 13kw PV array and dual 12,000w AIMS inverters in an off-grid configuration w/grid-assist via ATSs

My yearly numbers are 18,000kwh/year PV but only 15,000kwh/year out of the inverters. Average consumption per hour varies from 2100w/hr (have a small server farm) to 4400w/hr per month driven largely by the whole-house forced air heat-pump for heat/cool + background 2000w.

The house is 80% wired for off-grid - dryer, hot water, cooktop, all kitchen, whole-house heat pump (maxes out at 6000w), rain harvest system, all computers/tv - e.g. most of the house. Consumption tops out with a peak of 15,000w but 24,000w is available.

I've given the hours of 'solar power' / month (vs grid assist) for context in "Hrs of run" column. 31days * 24hrs = 744hrs of run time - e.g. anything below 700'ish is partial solar with grid assist.

1653665982604.png

My next step is to expand from 13kw PV to 17kw PV to help with winter!

Last edited:
From the wife:

December - charges - $180.95 usage - 1765 KWH

January - charges - $240.72 usage - 2348 KWH

February - charges $284.39 usage - 2774 KWH

March - charges $260.81 usage - 2544 KWH

April - Charge $182.46 usage - 1769 KWH

Good thing we have some of the cheapest power in the nation. Now if I could get her to use the THERMOSTAT instead of the WALL HEATERS that might help... gave up on turning a light switch off years ago. :cautious:

From the wife:

December - charges - $180.95 usage - 1765 KWH

January - charges - $240.72 usage - 2348 KWH

February - charges $284.39 usage - 2774 KWH

March - charges $260.81 usage - 2544 KWH

April - Charge $182.46 usage - 1769 KWH

Good thing we have some of the cheapest power in the nation. Now if I could get her to use the THERMOSTAT instead of the WALL HEATERS that might help... gave up on turning a light switch off years ago. :cautious:

Interesting, I thought your power would be cheaper than our in Europe, but that is basically pre-Putler invasion levels in Sweden.

We're in south Texas, near Austin and running 1400 to 1800 kWhr per month. That's in a big 3,500 ft2 house, running two A/C units, but I try to keep the house pretty warm, like mid 70's. Also two fridges/freezers and large 25,000 gal pool with variable speed pump which is new and makes a big difference, like 80% less power use compared to last year.

In the beginning process of planning and installing an off-grid system.

I just asked the wife... I'm not happy...
Monthly Average : 2240Kwh
Daily average: 74.6Kwh

Or about 7x the national average... ugh...

Don't feel bad, your daily consumption is just 0.4 Gore.

My production is about equal to your consumption, so I burn it off with resistance heating in the winter.
(I'm on-grid, would be severely battery limited offgrid.)

Regret to inform that I may be responsible for a good percentage of that hole in the Ozone layer. Working towards mending my ways... cry.jpg

I just asked the wife... I'm not happy...
Monthly Average : 2240Kwh
Daily average: 74.6Kwh

Or about 7x the national average... ugh...

That just means you are living life to the fullest! Lol

If you can run it all on solar who cares? I make 100kwH a day on solar panels. Theres excess power but not if and when I get an EV.

We're in south Texas, near Austin and running 1400 to 1800 kWhr per month. That's in a big 3,500 ft2 house, running two A/C units, but I try to keep the house pretty warm, like mid 70's. Also two fridges/freezers and large 25,000 gal pool with variable speed pump which is new and makes a big difference, like 80% less power use compared to last year.

In the beginning process of planning and installing an off-grid system.
You can probably do what you want with 2 sol arks and 2 batteries and 14k or so of panels. I have similar setup. Soft starters (easy start) modules on the AC is a must.

Thanks to most of my 110 circuits and my hot water heater on solar, my low periods are 565 KW hours per month to a high side of 1244 KW hours per month when it is either real cold or real hot. 2300 SQ ft home in Ft Worth area.

Edit: previously had info on my shop not house

Attachments

• Resized_IMG_20220602_072512.jpeg
    Resized_IMG_20220602_072512.jpeg
    564.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
You can put a flow switch on your uv light so it only comes on when you turn a faucet on.

That would cut your draw by 2.4kwh per day assuming 100 watt bulb.

Average 50kWh/day.

Energy company supposedly allows grid tied/net metering system to be 120% of yearly consumption, up to 20,000kWh. I have been emailing them for months, as they have no phone number for their Solar department, to nail down how big a system I am allowed. No responses. So I guess I might under size it a bit, then if needed, add panels after the inspection…

4.5 to 6 kw a day.
Talking about shunt not being that smart. Shunts only count the current going into and out of the battery. During the day a lot of your loads are covered by PV, assuming you have PV. This doesn't enter or exit your battery bank thus isn't counted. I have an energy monitor that monitors the power coming out of my inverter. This gives me a much better accounting of my actual use.
As to being conservative with you power use you should keep in mind that any time you are making heat from electricity it is a major draw and could be better done with gas. One tip I like sharing is when it comes to using a drip coffee maker. Being that they only take a few minutes to actually brew coffee you can get away with using one as long as you shut off the maker when done brewing and pour into an insulated carafe. Some drip coffee makers are already designed this way, without a hot pad base but instead an insulated carafe.

when it comes to using a drip coffee maker. Being that they only take a few minutes to actually brew coffee you can get away with using one as long as you shut off the maker when done brewing
I have a cheapo, no-electronics “5-Cup” coffeemaker. “4 cups” of water and two measures of coffee make a bit more than a 20oz vacuum mug will hold. I make a fresh one if I want another cup to bring with me.

Coffee on the burner more than 1 or 2 minutes loses a lot of the flavor I crave so I wouldn’t ever leave a pot sitting anyway LOL. I’ve never understood how people can drink coffee that’s been sitting around an hour or whatever.
Even when I had an electric bill I wouldn’t let those pennies drain away by leaving anything on ever. Me transitioning to solar wasn’t a big deal as far as behavior other than not vacuuming at night.

According to my utility company on Long Island, the average monthly KWH usage across all households is 755 KWH per month, or about 25 KWH per day. On hot summer days, this would likely be double or triple depending on the size of the house and the efficiency of the HVAC system. Most households likely have natural gas for heating, laundry and cooking.

Going off grid would likely cause a homeowner to be more efficient...depending on the system's capability.

Average 50kWh/day.

Energy company supposedly allows grid tied/net metering system to be 120% of yearly consumption, up to 20,000kWh. I have been emailing them for months, as they have no phone number for their Solar department, to nail down how big a system I am allowed. No responses. So I guess I might under size it a bit, then if needed, add panels after the inspection…

Almost 20 years ago, CEC rebate allowed up to 200% of consumption, which I documented with one month's electric bill.
(Left my pool pump running 24/7 for a month straight to help document my consumption.)

Back then, PG&E limit was 10kW, maybe larger with additional review.
Today, 30kW and additional review for larger.
Somewhere I have read up to 5kW doesn't require documentation of consumption, because that is typical for a residence.

Many more pages on the topic now. Here's one:

"Two hundred thousand dollars ($200,000) for each occurrence if the Gross Nameplate Rating of the Generating Facility is ten (10) kW or less and the Generating Facility is connected to an account receiving residential service from PG&E."

Also something about "waive" and "self-insure"

Assuming 5 hours average full sun, you might want 10kW of PV. (more in summer and less in winter of course.)
Assuming 5.5 hours, 10kW would give average 55kWh. 55kWh x 365 = 20,075 kWh/year

If you later over-panel with multiple PV orientations, might produce 1.4 times that much without clipping at peak.
It will be nice to have enough power for off-grid operation of A/C during power failures. Unless you have a large battery bank to save morning production for afternoon cooling, want enough PV generation to run the air conditioner. My house and central A/C aren't so large.

You can put a flow switch on your uv light so it only comes on when you turn a faucet on.

That would cut your draw by 2.4kwh per day assuming 100 watt bulb.

It's a nice idea, but I'm told the UV light needs at least 2 minutes to "warm up" fully before water should flow through it. Not sure how imperative that is, but I'm hesitant to test it out since I drink the water! I sure would like to cut some of that energy usage for sure (it's more like 55 watts, but still).

We ( 3people in main house and 3 studio units) average 22.30 kwh/day here in sunny California. In the winter, it goes up to 30kwh/day, mostly because my tenants use 1500 watt heaters. It would take more panels and batteries than it's worth to run them. I would like to find out more about these mini-split heaters, if someone who already knows where to look, could tell me a good source. thanks

Back