diy solar

diy solar

Average Consumption?

xwe09woep3

As I've been planning a potential move off-grid I have become very curious to know more about the average annual consumption for those who are already doing it. Obviously minimizing consumption is key to success, but how has that worked out for everyone? Would really love to hear from some folks who wouldn't mind sharing their numbers. I realize it's all relative, but I'm still interested.

According to my Victron SmartShunt (which is not very smart at all, but can be used to get vague ideas about some things), I use a daily average of... <3kWh. Of which I draw from the batteries for some 16 hours (on average), which explains why my (5kWh) batteries are always happy, with a <1kWh solar array ;·)

Full-size house (70 sqm.) but well insulated, and intelligent energy usage.
-

7 kWh/ day with no heat or air conditioning. 18 kWh/ day with air conditioning and 24 kWh / day heating at the extremes. 1000 sf two bedrooms. 36 seer mini split.

Average 60kWh/day in Ky. Well insulated. Variable speed (Inverter) HVAC Heat Pumps 6.25 Ton with heaters disabled. 80G elec water heater (the only thing left to upgrade to a solar friendly HP one). Convection toaster oven when its dinner for two. Microwave. High eff refrigerator- var speed. 132kWh battery. 20640kW PV (Not enough for Nov-Feb!) Two Sol-Ark 12K. Wood burner for backup heat or aux heat below 20F. 10kw Honeywell Gen.

Last edited:
As I've been planning a potential move off-grid I have become very curious to know more about the average annual consumption for those who are already doing it. Obviously minimizing consumption is key to success, but how has that worked out for everyone? Would really love to hear from some folks who wouldn't mind sharing their numbers. I realize it's all relative, but I'm still interested.
Albany, ny. 3KW/day base load during winter. 21cu refrig, etc. 2500 sq house. Top array output 20kw/day possible. Extra PV output used on minisplit AC/heating, Rav4 prime charging. 40 yrs. off grid.

Now I’m curious what my usage is…

I have a camper set up off-grid and modified for full time use including Vermont winters. 120V 5CF electric fridge, 12V LED lighting and water pump, 120V coffeemaker etc. with a propane RV furnace that uses about 1.2kWh/day. I have to supplement in winter.
Last summer with 400W of panels I exceeded my needs, usually 12.9V after sunset with an Epever controller.
I’m guessing the following but it’s a fairly educated guess due to known factors.

In The Dark Months I peaked around 3KWh/day
The other 7 months maybe 2KWh/day. I’ve only supplemented 38.2KWh since the first week of February interestingly enough which suggests maybe my solar is more effective than I think.

very curious to know more about the average annual consumption for those who are already doing it. Obviously minimizing consumption is key to success, but how has that worked out for everyone? Would really love to hear from some folks who wouldn't mind sharing their numbers.
I snowbird fulltime in the campervan in my profile pic. I make/use ~1.65kWh daily. I am overpaneled to hit that number regardless of season so it doesn't change much.

The annual number would be 602kWh.

Thanks all! Appreciate the replies.
I wasn't asking for my own benefit so much as a general curiosity at what actual consumption looks like for different folks in different places.

In VT off grid for 20 years, ranges 7kw to 12kw per day including heat. Average ~8.2kw/day. This is without AC. I don't have numbers for last summer with AC as I lost my data. AC is usually surplus juice. 9.4 KW in panels. I have generator back up and this year (which means winter) it only ran once and if I was a bit more conservative, it wouldn't have run at all.

That has changed over the years as the amount of "stuff" that is kept on gets larger and larger. In the before times, in winter, ~2.5kWh per day. Add the big-screen TV, and satelite internet and my summer-time consumption ratchets up to ~4.0kWh per day.

In the summer on irrigation days, it's 22+kWh per day.

I live in the outskirts of Abuja Nigeria and completely off the grid (by choice) I consume an average 10kWh a day. This is my 6th year on solar and my 2 year of being completely off the grid. (Last time I was totally offgrid was 2018-2019)

I try to keep track of usage and generation logs. Just setup a new dashboard where data collected from a raspberry Pi (configured to quarry the inverter, charge controller, and battery monitor for data) and sent to the cloud. I have a graph the records daily usage and generation which is based on a self hosted emoncms dashboard.
I intend to increase the battery from 14kWh Lifepo4 batteries to about 28kWh. This would give me about 3 days energy reserve in case of bad weather (Unlikely to happen due to the local climate which is close to the Sahel)

What a great thread. I was calculating 24kWh (max) with AC in extreme summer. And thought it was way too high. Maybe not.

I have 2 RV's offgrid, with 2 AC's on one and 1 AC on the second, along with a shipping container with 2 spare refrigerators, and a washer / dryer and run about 30KW in NC when cooling.

I live in the outskirts of Abuja Nigeria and completely off the grid (by choice) I consume an average 10kWh a day. This is my 6th year on solar and my 2 year of being completely off the grid. (Last time I was totally offgrid was 2018-2019)

I try to keep track of usage and generation logs. Just setup a new dashboard where data collected from a raspberry Pi (configured to quarry the inverter, charge controller, and battery monitor for data) and sent to the cloud. I have a graph the records daily usage and generation which is based on a self hosted emoncms dashboard.
I intend to increase the battery from 14kWh Lifepo4 batteries to about 28kWh. This would give me about 3 days energy reserve in case of bad weather (Unlikely to happen due to the local climate which is close to the Sahel)
I live in Abuja too.
Do you use an air conditioner? I am planning to use at least 3 ACs. (One 2HP and two 1.5HP). If I am off-grid, do you think a 60KW battery bank and a 12kw pv will be sufficient?

• Wow
Reactions: oud
Off-grid, work from home, running two 12kw inveters for each panel. We made many changes to reduce consumption as well.
So far this summer not gone over 58kwh, winter though can go much higher.

Attachments

• inveter 2.jpg
    inveter 2.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 28
  • inveter 1 offgrid.jpg
    inveter 1 offgrid.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 29
Back