diy solar

diy solar

Average Consumption?

According to my Victron SmartShunt (which is not very smart at all, but can be used to get vague ideas about some things), I use a daily average of... <3kWh. Of which I draw from the batteries for some 16 hours (on average), which explains why my (5kWh) batteries are always happy, with a <1kWh solar array ;·)

Full-size house (70 sqm.) but well insulated, and intelligent energy usage.
-
it must be very temperate? weather in Mallorca if you can get by on 3kwh. although, since there are six people in my building, we only avg. 4kwh/day per person!

Off-grid, work from home, running two 12kw inveters for each panel. We made many changes to reduce consumption as well.
So far this summer not gone over 58kwh, winter though can go much higher.
You sig shows you have 59750W of total Solar and 170kWh of battery, thats crazy. Can we see pics?

And just to add my info, we average about 10,000 kWh per year total here in hot Central California. I envy all of you with your cheaper electricity costs. Here in Tulare County we pay $0.36/kWh after fees and taxes and everything. 22kWh/day equates out to almost a $250 power bill. In the summer with 40-50kWh/day easily makes a $500-600 power bill!

Last edited:
It's a nice idea, but I'm told the UV light needs at least 2 minutes to "warm up" fully before water should flow through it. Not sure how imperative that is, but I'm hesitant to test it out since I drink the water! I sure would like to cut some of that energy usage for sure (it's more like 55 watts, but still).
iSpring UVF11A UV Ultraviolet Light Water Filter with Smart Flow Control Switch 11W, 110V, 10-INCH https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FKC3ZT6/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_PGW0P7JAMZ428CC8R2BX

Must depend on the manufacturer.

No claim regarding effectiveness, but manual does say, "The system is to be used with potable water supply only."
In other words, only use on a water source that doesn't require sterilization to be safe for consumption.

No claim regarding effectiveness, but manual does say, "The system is to be used with potable water supply only."
In other words, only use on a water source that doesn't require sterilization to be safe for consumption.
Ironic. ?

Wrong thread but rainwater off a roof is pretty much safe as it is. See studies done in rural Australia.

Must depend on the manufacturer.
There’s something to do with (uggh, the word escapes me) phosphorescence or a word like it of the bulb which requires a warmup period to give it its full ability to project its lethal death glow.

Bird poop and bugs. I always filtered through cotton and bleach dosed it.

But showering with rainwater feels great on the skin.
Don't get me wrong, I filter to .5 microns then run it through a 3 foot long uv sterilizer.

After reading the Australian study, I lost all fear of a possible filter failure or bulb outage leading to a case of the runs or blindness.

There’s something to do with (uggh, the word escapes me) phosphorescence or a word like it of the bulb which requires a warmup period to give it its full ability to project its lethal death glow.
Yes. Flourescent tubes have to heat up before they give full output.

You sig shows you have 59750W of total Solar and 170kWh of battery, thats crazy. Can we see pics?

And just to add my info, we average about 10,000 kWh per year total here in hot Central California. I envy all of you with your cheaper electricity costs. Here in Tulare County we pay $0.36/kWh after fees and taxes and everything. 22kWh/day equates out to almost a $250 power bill. In the summer with 40-50kWh/day easily makes a $500-600 power bill!
I hear you from Paso Robles! at least here, closer to the coast, we can turn off the AC at 9pm. my bill goes up to $450. in the summer sometimes, but always in the winter. I need to find a substitute for the 1500 watt heaters my renters use.

If you really want UV, low-pressure sodium will do it.
I had a high-pressure sodium porch lamp. When it first lit, not much visible light but a brief glance makes eyes feel like having sand in them.
As it warms up and metal turns to vapor (higher pressure), it shifts to much more visible light.
I think that was not even considering if you break the outer glass envelope, which I've heard is a way to get a strong UV lamp for epoxy curing.

I did buy a UV pool-water sterilizer on eBay, 500W. It said "UL Approved" which I take to mean fraudulent sticker.
Don't think it ever had any effect on the pool. Plumbed as a bypass of a small portion of water from pump through glass tube with lamp next to it.

Last edited:
tomy2

you might want to look into IR panels for your tenants. I have no experience with them, but was thinking about getting them as my niece uses a lot of electricity with an oil space heater in a cold basement.

tomy2

you might want to look into IR panels for your tenants. I have no experience with them, but was thinking about getting them as my niece uses a lot of electricity with an oil space heater in a cold basement.
While they can make you feel adequately warm like on a couch or at a desk, as an actual heat source if it takes 1500W 1500W is still 1500W. Electric heat is essentially 100% efficient.

Actually,
Google Maps can't find 63 degrees North, Finland
Make sure your search is spelled correctly. Try adding a city, state, or zip code.

So it's not a valid location (for Google maps) is it.
It is fair enough for insolation evaluation purposes, though.
-

Actually,
Google Maps can't find 63 degrees North, Finland
Make sure your search is spelled correctly. Try adding a city, state, or zip code.

So it's not a valid location (for Google maps) is it.
It is fair enough for insolation evaluation purposes, though.
-

Yeah, something changed since last time I tried this... can't remember if I changed something.

Back