diy solar

diy solar

Avoid AliExpress "LiitokalaVariCoreFlagship Store" from "$433 280Ah LiFePO4 Cells Tested: Cheaper than lead acid!" video

Sadly, some of will's recommendations go Back in Time and do not apply anymore. As far back as when he was still a Van Dweller.
The fact that Renogy is still on his list after everything is a Beffudlement that serves no good. Many of the "Dated" reviews should likely be redone using current equipment but that would take a lot of time and would be pretty boring for Will too. Sadly folks getting phookered as a result of those reviews being no longer applicable WILL come back to haunt - kinda has started already.
What's the beef with Renogy? In Will's newest videos he now has the WILLPROWSE code back in the descriptions.

What's the beef with Renogy? In Will's newest videos he now has the WILLPROWSE code back in the descriptions.
I think renogy is fine. Some products are cheap relabeled garbage, but if they don't work, you get a full refund. The DC to DC charger is 3x cheaper than the sterling brand equivalent. And it works great! I am glad renogy sells that unit and some other products they have.

I don't like their small mono panels. But most of the other stuff is great. Especially the resources on their website, like the PV array wire gauge calculator.

Last edited:
Oh and the coupon code has never been taken down. I've never found a reason to dislike them as a brand.

Oh! The all in one system they sell is garbage in my opinion. But midnite solar is selling the same one. And I know Steve was promoting that product here on the forum. I told everyone I didn't like it. It's up to my viewers to decide whether they buy something or not.

I did.

Dispute says 50% refund now... not even fraud makes them offer a 100%. ?
Yeah it sucks and it happens a lot. I spent $2800 on my cells and they are bloated. I think next time you should spend more money and get a higher quality pack.

Everytime I buy cheap cells on AliExpress, I have low expectations. Considering the price, I would imagine that everyone would expect that. I have had a great experience with varicore. But I will be sure to tell people that you did not in my videos. At this price point, these bad experiences are to be expected.

Yeah it sucks and it happens a lot. I spent $2800 on my cells and they are bloated. I think next time you should spend more money and get a higher quality pack.

Everytime I buy cheap cells on AliExpress, I have low expectations. Considering the price, I would imagine that everyone would expect that. I have had a great experience with varicore. But I will be sure to tell people that you did not in my videos. At this price point, these bad experiences are to be expected.
lol, buy SOK battery, as so far, i did not hear customers complain SOK... 6 containers on the way to warehouse now, will delivered to warehouse on middle September....

I pulled 227Ah from - apparently - a 220Ah cell. Given your experience, is there any danger in slight bulging? Or older/perhaps used cells? How can you know these cells are OK? I plan on using them in a camper.
Used cells are problematic at best. When end of life (capacity is 70%), dendrites becomes a genuine concern and that means an internal short.

Used cells are problematic at best. When end of life (capacity is 70%), dendrites becomes a genuine concern and that means an internal short.
But how would I know that these cells are in that state? As said, during my tests, I pulled 225-227Ah, turns out the specification is 3.2V, 704Wh (220Ah).

The bulk cells are a great value if the seller is honest. If they are selling used cells as new grade A, hope you used a credit card. Cells don't bulge by themselves, that comes from overcharging or discharging too low and boiling the electrolyte. The aluminium is quite thin, and a slight bit of undulating sides is common in large cells, but not bulging.

But how would I know that these cells are in that state? As said, during my tests, I pulled 225-227Ah, turns out the specification is 3.2V, 704Wh (220Ah).
If it pulls 100% of capacity, or even close, it's likely not used.

Oh and the coupon code has never been taken down. I've never found a reason to dislike them as a brand.

Oh! The all in one system they sell is garbage in my opinion. But midnite solar is selling the same one. And I know Steve was promoting that product here on the forum. I told everyone I didn't like it. It's up to my viewers to decide whether they buy something or not.
A) I did not promote them, just posted that they became available as their new DIY All In One Systems.
B) They are NOT Renogy relabled "things" They are in fact Manufactured by SNRE, which is NO SLOUCH.

I have cancelled at AliExpress and filed with PayPals Resolution Center. If no Joy will contact Master Card and dispute payment. I Cant believe I have been so naive...

Im going to cancel. Who and what is "Amy"? Can cells from her site be trusted? I'm at loss for words...
Thread 'Introducing the New & Improved Shenzhen Luyuan Technology Co.' https://diysolarforum.com/threads/introducing-the-new-improved-shenzhen-luyuan-technology-co.15880/

Yes, you can trust her. If she says the cells are grade A, they are. If she calls them bulk cells, they are new but don't quite meet spec. Her grade A cells will be matched at the factory, and you will be sent a link to get the test reports.

Last edited:
So, it's fine? Even if bulging?

I'm preparing myself for bulging cells.
Bulging cells are a different matter. They bulge when the electrolyte boils. That is what the vent caps are for, to burst and prevent the aluminum cell body from exploding.

I have no experience with bulging cells, but it means that the cell was overcharged or over discharged.

Last edited:
When we're all prepared to pay twice as much.

And I mean all. Not just a few diehard 'murica folks.
Twice as much may be an exaggeration, but I'd be happy to pay more if I could go into a store and buy a few cells, and if any had the sides bulging to be able to say "No thanks, that one's defective", or if they don't meet the specs, return them easily.
As it stands we have to wait months for an order from China to arrive, only to find that the grade 'A', brand new cells are anything but new.
Just look at the postings to see how many times that has happened.

Back