diy solar

diy solar

Avoid AliExpress "LiitokalaVariCoreFlagship Store" from "$433 280Ah LiFePO4 Cells Tested: Cheaper than lead acid!" video

If I get 230 I'll be annoyed, but they will still be usable for my application.

It just means I'll have to try for a refund and will probably order a set from a US distributor now that we've got some in Texas that are allegedly good.
That's my plan. Right now my CC is battling it out with AliExpress, another couple weeks of that expected before a resolution is reached. As soon as they finalize my refund, I'll order from Amy's Texas stock. I have cells inbound from Michael Caro too, but that's become a roll of the dice. If I wind up with a 560ah battery bank, so be it.

Been contemplating ordering from Amy immediately and not waiting on the CC refund, just don't want another grand tied up in this project. My solar trailer has become become a solar boat - bust out another thousand.

And parallel charging as we speak.
I'll not be compressing them for the first charge/balance/test though unless anyone sees a significant problem with that.

Right now my power supply is at 3.5v as well since I don't trust it further than I can throw it.

I might have asked before but what are yall using to chart the capacity test on a PC like I always see?

Edit: ope. The CBA thing that's out of stock.

Wonder if there's a simple alternative that will work with the overkill bms via Bluetooth.

That's my plan. Right now my CC is battling it out with AliExpress, another couple weeks of that expected before a resolution is reached. As soon as they finalize my refund, I'll order from Amy's Texas stock. I have cells inbound from Michael Caro too, but that's become a roll of the dice. If I wind up with a 560ah battery bank, so be it.

Been contemplating ordering from Amy immediately and not waiting on the CC refund, just don't want another grand tied up in this project. My solar trailer has become become a solar boat - bust out another thousand.
I would not wait. Out of the 2000 cells they purchased, 200 were sent to the Houston warehouse. I know others have ordered.

I might have asked before but what are yall using to chart the capacity test on a PC like I always see?

Wonder if there's a simple alternative that will work with the overkill bms via Bluetooth.
Will uses a CBA.

I use a EBC-A40L.

Thread 'Fast/Large capacity cell tester.' https://diysolarforum.com/threads/fast-large-capacity-cell-tester.22105/

Last edited:
Will uses a CBA.

I use a EBC-A40L.
Yeah there's a local store that their website says they have one. Might be worth picking up if I have an issue with the capacity test and need to prove something.

I used a Victron shunt and the Victron portal via the Cerbo GX, given that I'm building a vehicular setup.

I used a Victron shunt and the Victron portal via the Cerbo GX, given that I'm building a vehicular setup.
I have a smartshunt but not many options for 12v loads so I figured I'd just get something dedicated to the task.

I do have a 300w baby inverter I could use. While that's barely an improvement over the cba unit I haven't had any success connecting to my Victron stuff via Bluetooth with my laptop either with. Its deeply annoying. It seems to indicate this is possible?

It's a bit overkill for my needs but I like gadgets and graphs and whatnot.

I have a smartshunt but not many options for 12v loads so I figured I'd just get something dedicated to the task.

I do have a 300w baby inverter I could use. While that's barely an improvement over the cba unit I haven't had any success connecting to my Victron stuff via Bluetooth with my laptop either with. Its deeply annoying. It seems to indicate this is possible?

It's a bit overkill for my needs but I like gadgets and graphs and whatnot.
As far as I know, Victron doesn't support Bluetooth for PC connections, but I'm rather new to this stuff ;)

As far as I know, Victron doesn't support Bluetooth for PC connections, but I'm rather new to this stuff ;)
Yeah I need to look into it more of course.

But they do advertise it as such.
The page for this says nothing about a PC limitation.
Screenshot_20210924-044634_Chrome.jpg

It's plastered all over the page, and equates the PC, android, and iPhone apps as all having the same functionality.

This one does mention gx device, but again states Bluetooth.

Screenshot_20210924-044746_Chrome.jpg

Yeah I need to look into it more of course.

But they do advertise it as such.
The page for this says nothing about a PC limitation.
View attachment 66090

It's plastered all over the page, and equates the PC, android, and iPhone apps as all having the same functionality.

This one does mention gx device, but again states Bluetooth.

View attachment 66092
Oh, I could very well be wrong. A quick search sent me to the Community pages where users complained about the very same issue, found posts about it from 2020. Perhaps it's fixed now.

Oh, I could very well be wrong. A quick search sent me to the Community pages where users complained about the very same issue, found posts about it from 2020. Perhaps it's fixed now.
If it was fixed it was veerrrry recent lol

EBC-40L and two cheaper ones from Amazon. They all three are within 1 aH on a 280 cell.

Use 12” Long 10ga THHN wires and it does 20A dischg max just fine.

Brand: YuAn0302
4.5 out of 5 stars 26Reviews

Electronic Load Tester 180W Upgrade Version 4-Wire Color Screen DC Tester Electronic Adjustment Constant Load Meter Lithium Battery Capacity Monitor Discharge Charging Power Meter Checker​

EBC-40L and two cheaper ones from Amazon. They all three are within 1 aH on a 280 cell.

Use 12” Long 10ga THHN wires and it does 20A dischg max just fine.

Brand: YuAn0302
4.5 out of 5 stars 26Reviews

Electronic Load Tester 180W Upgrade Version 4-Wire Color Screen DC Tester Electronic Adjustment Constant Load Meter Lithium Battery Capacity Monitor Discharge Charging Power Meter Checker​

I have one of those.

Small update. Drove 45 minutes one way up to Milwaukee HAM Radio Outlet and bought a CBA-IV.

Currently have it running in voltage monitor mode on my laptop in the garage and am using steam link as a remote viewer to keep an eye on the top balance. At 3.41 volts thus far.

Now I just need a way to automatically turn off the power supply at a specific current...

Screenshot_20210924-153102.jpg

Small update. Drove 45 minutes one way up to Milwaukee HAM Radio Outlet and bought a CBA-IV.

Currently have it running in voltage monitor mode on my laptop in the garage and am using steam link as a remote viewer to keep an eye on the top balance. At 3.41 volts thus far.

Now I just need a way to automatically turn off the power supply at a specific current...

View attachment 66170
I hadn't thought of using steamlink. Certainly makes sense if you already have it installed.
I've been using remote desktop, teamviewer, or one of the many flavors of VNC. Good idea that.

Power supply was set to 3.64 volts and overnight we got this, which is promising.

I have yet to get off my tail and go check the current though
Edit: got up. Adjusted supply to 3.650 volts exactly.

Checked each cell and they all show 3.614-3.615 volts.

Current is around 0.7 amps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210925-033404.jpg
    Screenshot_20210925-033404.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
AliExpress offered me 30% so far. I’m not sure if they offered that because that was my initial proposal or what there reasoning was but before they offered it I had raised it higher. I prob would of been fine with that if the seller had acknowledged the issue and apologized but instead the seller responded in a very shiesty way. AliExpress quickly said all my claims were valid 1) delivery outside guarantee window 2) defective product because 4 cells have crooked threads 3) several cells are lower capacity.
AliExpress gave me two options take the 30 percent or fully refund if I ship product back, just rejected both and am waiting to hear back again.

what was the result of the dispute. I don't think they will offer more than 33% . That is the standard return for delivery in more than 75 days. If you did not get more it seems they ingnored any other claim of yours.

AliExpress responded to my credit card company, declining the refund. I thought it was amusing that AliExpress had been asked, as I'd already reached out to them with no result. I sent my capacity measurements to my credit card company, now they're figuring out what they're going to do. Fingers crossed.

Amy has no more stock in Texas, China shipping only. My Michael Caro cells are somewhere between here and China, although they should be good cells from a solid supplier, not the one that's been so much trouble.

Not sure what to do.

Back