diy solar

diy solar

Avoiding Galvanic Corrosion

I got a torque wrench and in tightening my bolts to 4Nm / 35inch-lbs, I managed to strip 1 of 16 aluminum threads (bummer :(

So I want to get studs into those remaining threads as quickly as possible and am considering to get zinc-plated studs like these: https://www.belmetric.com/index.php...AkDLEALw_wcB&zenid=c3gjqt75i3j03cm013igt00u96

These are plated in ‘yellow zinc’ but that should fit the bill as far as working to reduce the liklihood of corrosion within the aluminum terminal threads, correct?

Any downside to using these?

A bit OT w.r.t. the subject of this thread, but I’m also seeking advice on how to most-effectively recover the one stripped terminal. My initial thought is to get one 1/4” stud and hope that I can self-tap it into the remains of the stripped M6 aluminum thread...
I'm curious about opinions on the zinc studs linked above .... compared to SS studs.

I retapped all my EVE 280 cells to use a helicoil with a 8mm * 1.25 thread. I then use 8mm stainless studs.

The benefit is they hold much better, and the studs fit my M8 blockmons and 5/16 terminal lugs.
So the Helicoil is secured into the aluminum with more threads than M8 but then hold the (fewer) standard M8 threads with metal harder than Aluminum?
With a drill press it's a quick job to get them all drilled to the correct depth.
I’ve got a press so getting the holes drilled straight and to the correct depth sounds Ike at least one issue I don’t need to be overly concerned with...
I don't believe these cels are built with threaded terminals. I also believe the quality of that machining step is not that great as many of the original 6mm threaded holes were very poorly done and pulled out well below 36 in/lb.
I believe EVE sells their standard 280A cells with flat aluminum terminals.

Between the wholesalers who purchase the cells in bulk from EVE and the resellers / trading companies we purchase from, one of those two probably does the machining of the M6 holes we get.

And from my experience, I can absolutely confirm their are some quality issue at that machining step... (as I treated my eve cells very, very gently over the course of 3 threadings & unthreadings before today’s calibrated tightening to 4Nm / 35inch-lbs when one out of 16 terminals stripped before getting past 30 inch-lbs).

And from my experience, I can absolutely confirm their are some quality issue at that machining step... (as I treated my eve cells very, very gently over the course of 3 threadings & unthreadings before today’s calibrated tightening to 4Nm / 35inch-lbs when one out of 16 terminals stripped before getting past 30 inch-lbs).
Yeah from my perspective, these terminals have a basic design flaw. Even if the terminal hole was 10mm deep, i doubt we would even see a fraction of the number of stripped threads reported on this forum. At 6mm deep and judging by the top of the cell hole which is chamfered, you will be lucky to have 5mm of thread.

I think a drill press is a great idea if you have access to one...makes the whole job accurate...imo.

So the Helicoil is secured into the aluminum with more threads than M8 but then hold the (fewer) standard M8 threads with metal harder than Aluminum?

I’ve got a press so getting the holes drilled straight and to the correct depth sounds Ike at least one issue I don’t need to be overly concerned with...

I believe EVE sells their standard 280A cells with flat aluminum terminals.

Between the wholesalers who purchase the cells in bulk from EVE and the resellers / trading companies we purchase from, one of those two probably does the machining of the M6 holes we get.

The helicoils I. used are stainless. The kits comes with the drill bit, tap, install tool, and a bunch of helicoils. The OD of the helicoil is a M10 or M11 so quite a bit larger and therefore better grab.

1) You drill out the cells with the provided drill bit - I used a piece of PEX tube over the drill bit as a stop so I could not drill deeper then the factory holes.

2) You use the provided tap to thread the holes for the helicoil install.

3) You use the install tool to thread the helicoil into the tapped hole.

4) I then installed the M8-1.25 studs into the helicoil inner threads.

So once installed you, in theory, never have the helicoil removed so no wear on the aluminum threads from #2. Plus being bigger diameter and coarser thread (and perhaps quality of the person operating the tap is higher) they grip very well.

At 6mm deep and judging by the top of the cell hole which is chamfered, you will be lucky to have 5mm of thread.
Count them. Its very easy to tell since you can see the threads the Loctite bonded to. The stud came out of an EVE cell. The terminal threads came right up with it as also seen in the photo. It's my understanding the depth of a Lishen terminal is 10mm.

Attachments

• stud.jpg
    stud.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 22
The helicoils I. used are stainless. The kits comes with the drill bit, tap, install tool, and a bunch of helicoils. The OD of the helicoil is a M10 or M11 so quite a bit larger and therefore better grab.
Sounds great except I’m concerned about the lost contact surface. The terminals are 16mm diameter or 201mm^2. With the standard M6 hole eliminating the central 28.3mm, that leaves 171.7mm^2 of aluminum surface for electrical contact.

An 11mm hole removes the central 95mm of that surface, leaving only 106mm^2 or less than 62% of the standard contact surface...

1) You drill out the cells with the provided drill bit - I used a piece of PEX tube over the drill bit as a stop so I could not drill deeper then the factory holes.

2) You use the provided tap to thread the holes for the helicoil install.

3) You use the install tool to thread the helicoil into the tapped hole.

4) I then installed the M8-1.25 studs into the helicoil inner threads.

So once installed you, in theory, never have the helicoil removed so no wear on the aluminum threads from #2. Plus being bigger diameter and coarser thread (and perhaps quality of the person operating the tap is higher) they grip very well.

It all sounds easy and great, I just need to understand how it will change the contact resistance of that terminal compared to all of the others...

What is the maximum current you have out though your Helicoil and for how long?

Well thanks for the heads-up; that’s a bit of a hairball...

No problem, next time you strip the threads on an M8 stud, just get an M7-1 die and rethread it, to use with your rethreaded cell terminal.

It does appear the screws exist, and some postings mention ordering a sample.

No problem, next time you strip the threads on an M8 stud, just get an M7-1 die and rethread it, to use with your rethreaded cell terminal.

It does appear the screws exist, and some postings mention ordering a sample.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions, but we’re reaching the point where I can just purchase a new 280Ah cell for less than it will cost me to salvage this one with a stripped thread...

Thanks for the helpful suggestions, but we’re reaching the point where I can just purchase a new 280Ah cell for less than it will cost me to salvage this one with a stripped thread...
Had i not been able to get a good tap on my existing cell, that was my next route(new cell). The only issue was the shipping cost was going to make it expensive, so toyed with the idea of ordering another 5 cells to spread the shipping, then on testing them, i would insert the cell with the greatest capacity into my 24v pack and then produce an additional 12v pack. This would give me the best chance of keeping my main pack balanced, plus give me some extra Ah for some 12v loads.

Short stainless studs with an allen key head are not expensive. The problem with stainless machine screws is that they can allow damp into the terminal between aluminium and stainless although Ox-gard would be good there too. Loctite prevents that damp getting in. The allen key head means you can hold the stud steady with a key when tightening nuts. Those aluminium taps don't take a lot of use by the look of them and would be easy to strip so Loctite stabilises it. Sorry there is just the aluminium terminal rather than a second layer but if there is a washer needed in the stack then an aluminium washer would be good too.

I also used several layers of liquid insulation on the base of my aluminium cased cells (they are +vely charged). Every place the cells touch the case (and between them) there is a sheet of 0.5mm epoxy fibreglass. All blue wrapping (which is easily nicked exposing a hot aluminium case) has a covering of nylon mesh tape which binds the cells but also allows any heat to escape. And all electronic boards have several layers of Plastik-70 conformal coating.
Seems like a lifetime ago that I started this thread and got helpful advice like this.

It’s getting real now and so I am asking for some final suggestions before I buy my studs and get everything assembled.

Some updates on my end: my battery environment has a dirt floor which occassionally gets muddy during the rainy season, so not Marine, no salt, but worse than the typical basement or garage.

My main concern is avoiding any corrosion on the exposed threads of my grub screws. I’ll be locking them into place using either Loctite or JB Weld (more on that below) so I want to minimize the possibility of corrosion either between the exposed threads and the zinc-plated copper busbars and/or lugs, as well as any direct corrosion of the exposed threads from moist ambient air (such as white rust on zinc-plating).

I found these yellow-zinc-plated 6M grub screws and am thinking of going that route unless I need to worry about white rust:

This would translate to sealed yellow-zinc-to-Aluminum within the terminal (Loctite or JB Weld) followed by yellow-zinc-coated-steel to grey-zinc-plated-copper at the busbars/lugs with some exposed yellow-zinc-coated steel and grey-zinc-plated copper in the ambient air.

Reading about ‘white rust’ of zinc is the primary concern causing me pause on this solution, but that seems to be mainly caused by salt and I am miles from the nearest salt water.

So I’d appreciate any inputs as to whether this yellow-zinc-plated grubscrew solution should work well in my sometimes-moist environment or whether there are issues I am overlooking.

I’ve also tracked down some slotted aluminum grub screws but they are slotted rather than hex, likely pricey, and I’m concerned corrosion of the exposed aluminum threads may be at least as great as concern of corrosion of exposed zinc-plated steel threads (though I’d appreciate any comments).

And finally, while I steered away from stainless due to increased concerns of galvanic corrosion, between eliminating concerns of galvanic corrosion within the stud by sealing with Loctite or JB Weld and now being equally or more concerned about environmental corrosion (rust) of the exposed threads in my sometimes-moist environment, the stainless threads should be best for preventing any environmental corrosion, so I’d appreciate opinions as to whether stainless may actually be the best option for my sealed-stud in a sometimes-moist application...

A quick update on what has changed on my end since I first started this thread:

Loctite versus JB Weld: the upper 3 threads of all of my cells are worn after merely three gently by-hand (w/ screwdriver) insertions and removals of the bundled stainless steel bolts.

In addition, I used a newly-purchased torque-wrench to tighten 8 cells to 4Nm / 35inch-lbs and stripped the upper 3 threads from one terminal.

The bundled 6M bolts appear to be slightly undersized and I can thread a separately-purchased M6 bolt into pretty much the full 5 threads of to thus ‘stripped’ terminals (4-3/4).

The lower 2 threads of all 16 of my cells are pristine / untouched, including the stripped terminal.

So I’m hopeful that I will be able to get an M6 grubscrew threaded into the stripped terminal in a way that will hold and because of the wear on the upper 3 threads of all terminals, I’m considering to use JB Weld to permanently-install grub screws into all terminals.

If the only advantage to Loctite over JB Weld is that the grub screw can be removed if needed, I’m leaning towards deciding I want these grub screws to be permanently mounted, especially if JB Weld results in a stronger attachment than Loctite and/or if it provides a better environmental seal as far as preventing against the possibility of galvanic corrosion and/or ‘rust’ within the terminal.

Finally, I’m ready to seal my battery within an environmentally-controlled container (temperature control, pumping through dry cooling air from outside when needed) if that is the only way to operate without concern in my sometimes-moist environment.

For those of you with experience in harsher environments than mine and who understand all of the metallurgical issues of operating in a (fresh / non-salty) sometimes-moist environment, I greatly appreciate any inputs on what you would choose to do facing my particular situation...

Once clean and dry, you can coat the metal parts with something. Whether grease, paralyne, or other, to exclude moisture.

As you noted, sealed container seems good (could contain a desiccant), except need to get heat out.

Sounds great except I’m concerned about the lost contact surface. The terminals are 16mm diameter or 201mm^2. With the standard M6 hole eliminating the central 28.3mm, that leaves 171.7mm^2 of aluminum surface for electrical contact.

An 11mm hole removes the central 95mm of that surface, leaving only 106mm^2 or less than 62% of the standard contact surface...

It all sounds easy and great, I just need to understand how it will change the contact resistance of that terminal compared to all of the others...

What is the maximum current you have out though your Helicoil and for how long?

Please also consider that the stud/helicoil threaded surface is also part of the contact area, and by being able to torque tighter you actually will get a lower overall resistance. I saw my BMS computed IR's go down 22% after the helicoils, bigger studs, higher torque -- this is significant!!

For corrosion protection anyone with a lot of marine experience will tell you nothing is more important than a well torqued fastener to battle corrosion. Once you achieve this then some corrosion resistance over the torqued fastener can help. CRC Marine Heavy Duty corrosion inhibitor is what I use.

Once clean and dry, you can coat the metal parts with something. Whether grease, paralyne, or other, to exclude moisture.
So another way to prevent the possibility of corrosion/rust from a moist environment - thanks.
As you noted, sealed container seems good (could contain a desiccant), except need to get heat out.
As far as heat, the greatest source of heat I’ve identified so far in my BMS, and I’ll put that outside the case and may even go to a Chargery-like external ‘switch’ with active cooling.

if my cells ever heat up enough to need cooling, pumping in dry air from outside or even from within the dry house using a hose and a fan is pretty easy...

Please also consider that the stud/helicoil threaded surface is also part of the contact area, and by being able to torque tighter you actually will get a lower overall resistance. I saw my BMS computed IR's go down 22% after the helicoils, bigger studs, higher torque -- this is significant!!
I thought the upper-surface of a Helicoil was non-planer... Did you file yours down to flat?

What torqued did you apply prior to Helicoil and after to achieve a 22% reduction in computed IR?
For corrosion protection anyone with a lot of marine experience will tell you nothing is more important than a well torqued fastener to battle corrosion. Once you achieve this then some corrosion resistance over the torqued fastener can help. CRC Marine Heavy Duty corrosion inhibitor is what I use.
Great, thanks.

I kind of know what levels of torque I can apply with the threaded aluminum terminals (30 inch-lbs to a maximum of 35 inch-lbs, measured with uncalibrated torque wrench) so it would be helpful to understand what levels of torque are required to avoid corrosion in a marine environment as well as any opinion you have on any relaxation of those safe torque requirements for use in a moist-but-not-salty environment.

Just coat it liberally with dielectric grease when finished. Elevate the pack so it won't be on the floor. A foot or two is probably okay.

Just coat it liberally with dielectric grease when finished. Elevate the pack so it won't be on the floor. A foot or two is probably okay.
Thanks. After typing my earlier long ‘update’ post someone pointed out that busbars and lugs are plated in tin, not zinc.

And also that zinc against tin is not a good idea.

So I’m back to thinking stainless may be the best option and just trying to understand whether I should start with Loctite or JB Weld for a ‘permanent’ installation in existing aluminum threads.

One post seemed to possibly imply that remaining aluminum threads need to be removed before JB Weld can be used.

If that is correct, I will start with Loctite and save JB Weld for any grubscrews that strip out under torque.

I’ll see what the quote for those aluminum grub screws is before finalizing my decision but it seems like stainless may be best for ‘permanent’ grubscrews sealed with Loctite or JB Weld...

I thought the upper-surface of a Helicoil was non-planer... Did you file yours down to flat?

What torqued did you apply prior to Helicoil and after to achieve a 22% reduction in computed IR?

Great, thanks.

I kind of know what levels of torque I can apply with the threaded aluminum terminals (30 inch-lbs to a maximum of 35 inch-lbs, measured with uncalibrated torque wrench) so it would be helpful to understand what levels of torque are required to avoid corrosion in a marine environment as well as any opinion you have on any relaxation of those safe torque requirements for use in a moist-but-not-salty environment.

32 in/lb on the 6mm studs which was marginal as I mentioned as some stripped at that due to thread pull out. After with helicoil and 8mm stud 100 in/lb with no signs of pull out.

I get your thoughts on the co-planar contact and that the electron flow is from the flat terminal area to the bottom of the lug and this is correct if the fastener is a high resistance (due to low torque, needing thread lock or other goop on the threads). But remember electrons flow on the surface of the conductor. With the helicoils and 8mm stud you can use a nut on top that not only covers the entire top of the lug; but also had good torque to ensure a low resistance connection. So that 8mm stud up from the terminal block in the cell, through the lugs, and the nut on top, all contribute to more surface area and a contact that has lower resistance and more current capacity.

Consider most good quality plugs are "dual wipe" or "multi contact" for a reason - the more contact surface area the better - the electrons don't just flow on one side.

32 in/lb on the 6mm studs which was marginal as I mentioned as some stripped at that due to thread pull out. After with helicoil and 8mm stud 100 in/lb with no signs of pull out.

I get your thoughts on the co-planar contact and that the electron flow is from the flat terminal area to the bottom of the lug and this is correct if the fastener is a high resistance (due to low torque, needing thread lock or other goop on the threads). But remember electrons flow on the surface of the conductor. With the helicoils and 8mm stud you can use a nut on top that not only covers the entire top of the lug; but also had good torque to ensure a low resistance connection. So that 8mm stud up from the terminal block in the cell, through the lugs, and the nut on top, all contribute to more surface area and a contact that has lower resistance and more current capacity.

Consider most good quality plugs are "dual wipe" or "multi contact" for a reason - the more contact surface area the better - the electrons don't just flow on one side.
Wow, so the Helicoll allowed you to increase torque from 32inch-lbs to over 100 and that reduced your computed IR by 22%!

Did you ever make measurements of contact resistance between lug and aluminum surface to estimate how much that changed?

Back