diy solar

diy solar

Back up battery implementation with current 4 KW solar system, generator and grid power.

Twothreefive

We currently have a 4KW solar system (12 panels on our garage) that ceases to provide power if the grid goes down - I imagine this was designed this way to prevent backfeed issues and to provide a way of selling excess power back to the grid. I have a manual interlock device on my main panel that allows me to run a 10 KW generator without the danger of backfeeding into the grid. I want to add a 15KWhr battery backup system. I am looking at the following package - Growatt 6K + 15kWh KONG Elite Battery.

My goals are:

1. Tie the Growatt inverter/charger into grid power to keep the battery charged.
2. Use the generator to charge the battery when the power is down, run the air conditioner and electric hot water heater.
3. Be able to use/access my solar power when the grid is down

My initial thought is to use 2 sub-panels - 1 for my generator and 1 for my battery system:
1. Sub panel powered by my generator will have my air conditioner, electric hot water heater, and provide power to re-charge my 15 kwhr battery.
2. Battery system subpanel will power my refrigerator, freezer, furnace fan (natural gas furnace), lights and select outlets.

We live up north and winter solar production is very poor - thus the need for the back up battery. I do not like running my generator 24/7 and was looking for a solution that could provide power at night without the generator running. Any feedback would be appreciated! It seems having grid power complicates this somewhat....

I too want to add batteries to my grid tie system, but I am in the desert. I believe my best bang for the buck is to have an independent system to run appliances, even using grid to charge batteries during off-peak hours as I gradually add solar panels. I do like the looks and price of these "all-in-one" systems and looking for more information/reviews on the Growatt.

I have 2 of the 24 volt 3k growatts and i live them so far.
Quiet fans and no RF noise (HAM radio).
Easy to install. Able to be repaired. I broke a connector and Signature solar send me
one and was able to replace it with not trouble. 700 bucks is a steal for that much stuff that works

Back