diy solar

diy solar

Backup generator question from a newbie

Bethaniekaye

Hi hi! So we have a magnum pure sine wave 4000 watt inverter. We need a backup generator because our collection isn’t the greatest with the panels we have. We are installing new panels in about a month. But for now, we have a Briggs and Stratton 8000w portable gas generator that we plug in directly to the inverter to charge the batteries. So I have two questions:

-can I hook up this generator to the AGS?
-why is the generator not charging the batteries sufficiently? Am I missing something the settings on the remote?

Any help or advice would be so greatly appreciated!

Automatic generator start. So when the batteries get low the generator automatically starts up.

Does the generator support remote start?

-why is the generator not charging the batteries sufficiently? Am I missing something the settings on the remote?

Do you have a shunt based battery monitor?
Like this one https://www.amazon.ca/Voltmètre-ampèremètre-tension-voiture-moteur/dp/B07FGFFHC6/ .
Its like the gas guage in your car.
If yes, It will show you the battery voltage and the amperage going into/out of them.
If you disable all loads you can also use it to see how much charge current the batteries are drawing from your charge source.

I don’t have a battery monitor, so that’s a good idea. No, the generator doesn’t have a remote start. But it does have a keyed electric start

I don’t have a battery monitor, so that’s a good idea. No, the generator doesn’t have a remote start. But it does have a keyed electric start
Not sure how your Magnum setup or the series of the inverter. I assume it is the MS40XX model. Here is the picture from their installation manual with AGS, RC remote, and BMK battery kit.

The ME-RC50 remote works together with the AGS and BMK to kick off the low battery detection.

https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/product-inverter/4000w-24vdc-pure-sine-inverter-charger-ms-series to the DOWNLOAD tab to get the Owner's manual.
1596394531215.png

Hi hi! So we have a magnum pure sine wave 4000 watt inverter. We need a backup generator because our collection isn’t the greatest with the panels we have. We are installing new panels in about a month. But for now, we have a Briggs and Stratton 8000w portable gas generator that we plug in directly to the inverter to charge the batteries. So I have two questions:

Any help or advice would be so greatly appreciated!

*********See the other post.
*********Generator is too noisy? Can't lock into the correct frequency? Remote not set to the correct input for charging amperage?

A lot of generators are not to be started while plugged in to any load, and in looking at the manual for your generator this seems to be the case. So if you want an automated start it would need to accommodate this limitation. So the automation would need to detect the low situation, start the generator THEN switch to generator input. You would not be able to have anything else plugged into the generator or there would be the possibility those other connection might be presenting a load while the generator is starting.

Did you configure the Magnum for desired charge parameters based on your batteries?

Also make sure the inverter is staying connected and locked to inverter. If gen is out of freq range due to engine speed the inverter will not lock on generator. If gen govenor does not hold gen at constant speed (warbling, hunting) the inverter will keep disconnecting or if fast enough will never allow inverter to lock onto it.

Most DVM's these days have freq measurement. Measuring just generator AC output adjust govenor set screw to achieve 60 Hz on AC output of generator.

Last edited:
The magnum docs show how to set up charging with a generator. I have a 4000w magnum as well. I could possibly email you the doc in pdf but I think you could get them online. You have to program the inverter charging parameters with the remote, or the magnum router. I highly recommend the magnum battery monitor. It's available on Amazon and also at don rowe

I've got an 7500DF Westinghouse generator which I'm using with Magnum 4.4Kw inverter for my 48V batteries bank. I'm using the Magnum AGS-N to automatically charge the batteries based on battery voltage, so I can confirm that configuration is working. As No.15 mentioned, you need the ME-BMK to monitor the batteries and setup the correct info in order to charge the bank.

Back