diy solar

diy solar

Backup home power with EG4 LL and Schneider Electric Conext SW inverter

RedHotSolar

I'm looking at adding AC-coupled backup power to my house and just wanted to see if anyone had suggestions or areas that I should do more research on first. As well as a few questions.

Proposed equipment:
  • 2x EG4 LL V2 Server Rack batteries
  • Schneider Electric Conext SW 4kW 48VDC Inverter/Charger SW4048
  • Schneider Insight Home
  • Future solar via Enphase IQ microinverters
  • Generator breaker interlock for the main breaker to ensure the grid is not backfed
  • Breaker Interlock for the AC input circuit on the inverter from the main panel and the AC output circuit to the generator input on the main panel. This will ensure when in off-grid mode the output and input of the inverter are never connected together through the main panel.
  • Generator for extended power outages when solar is limited
  • In the future adding an adjustable output 12-volt to 48-volt charger to charge from an EVs 12 volt system

Questions
  • Are there instructions for integrating the EG4 batteries and the inverter through the Insight Home? It seems to be a supported configuration but I didn't see specific instructions.
  • Does EG4 have anything written about how their precharge circuit works and how to properly use it? I saw that SOK's user manual has specific steps for turning things on but the EG4 manual makes no mention of this. I understand the basic concepts but it's surprising to me that something that seems so important would be missing from their manual.
  • Any recommendations on sourcing name-brand DIN rail components? For example, I see online TOMZN brand DIN rail manual transfer switches for $20 but that seems too cheap compared to say midnite solars solution for this which includes a case that is nearly $200.
  • Can I order a spare backup BMS kit? If these batteries really can last 15 years I worry that sometime in the future a component of the BMS could fail after EG4 goes out of business or stops making parts for this generation of products.
Assumptions / Limitations
  • Breakers for high amperage loads will need to be turned off when in off-grid mode
  • The output rating of solar microinverters should not exceed the limit of the inverter
  • Gas generator and microinverters can not both be connected at the same time
  • I'm aware of the limits that a 4 kW inverter and 10kwh battery pack have

Thanks for any comments!

The EG4LL has a setting on the screen for scheneider, then use the insight wizard
My 24v system: Schneider Conext SW4024 - AC and DC coupled to 6000 W of solar. 20kwh storage: two of the original EG4 Gyll batteries, one Lifepower4, and one EG4-LL v.1 battery. Completely off-grid.
Q. Is closed loop possible through the EG4 – LL? And/or Lifepower4?
Q. What is the correct firmware version for each?
Q. Which has priority? Inverter charge parameters or BMS? Are Schneider charge controllers part of the closed loop system?
Thx.

I believe I have read that the loop only closes with the inverter, not the charge controller. I am trying to figure out how to close the loop myself with the V1 batteries. I’ve ordered the Insight Home and it should be here next week. The Conext Gatewat I was using was not working.

I believe I have read that the loop only closes with the inverter, not the charge controller. I am trying to figure out how to close the loop myself with the V1 batteries. I’ve ordered the Insight Home and it should be here next week. The Conext Gatewat I was using was not working.
Yes, closed loop only works with the inverter, not the CCs. With that in mind, it seems the only benefit is informational, and the ability to (perhaps) regulate charge current from an AC source according to SOC. We can already do that in open loop according to voltage. Let me know if you decide to get rid of the Gateway - I might be interested. Still using my good old reliable Combox.

When you state "not the CCs", is that including the charger inside the inverter?

So for open loop, what settings (voltage-on/off thresholds, charge voltage, etc) would be recommended?

Actually did a similar system, now up and running for couple of months - almost debugged.
Manual whole house backup:
Inverter = Sungold LF 6KW 48V Split Phase (120v/240v) (also charges battery)
Battery = EG4-LL 48V 5.12 KWh
Mechanical Interlock at Primary panel with backup power breaker can only be used if Grid is off
Mechanical Transfer Switch <1> allows Inverter to receive either <a> Generator Source or <b> Grid Source
Mechanical Transfer Switch <2> allows Main Panel to receive either <a> Generator Source or <b> Inverter Source
Have parallel (portable) 240V NG inverter generators that total ~ 8KW
If power outage, sump is automatically backed up, and can throw a few switches to have whole house backed up (except 5ton AC, but I'm in MI).
Auto UPS Sump Backup:
Have Sump tied into Inverter subpanel so it's always ready if AC drops to be fed by DC.

My 24v system: Schneider Conext SW4024 - AC and DC coupled to 6000 W of solar. 20kwh storage: two of the original EG4 Gyll batteries, one Lifepower4, and one EG4-LL v.1 battery. Completely off-grid.
Q. Which has priority? Inverter charge parameters or BMS? Are Schneider charge controllers part of the closed loop system?
Thx.
Thx.
Thx.
were you ever able to get the batteries to work with the insight home with the sw4024? I was told that there is no closed loop for the SW series of inverters with ANY of the EG4 batteries. of course I only found out that they weren't compatible after the order shipped out to me. I have since ordered an 24V Eg4-LL(V2) to fill out my 3-slot rack to go with the previous 2 EG4-LL(v1) and was hoping to at least get info in insight home even if I can't utilize the SOC while charging.

Back