diy solar

diy solar

Backup to a generator for prolonged grid down scenario

Same thing, just costs more.
EG4 batteries definitely communicate with Growatt.
Not sure about the power up ones.
But, communication is not mandatory.
Either will do what you want.

Here's another question for the wiring experts. I mentioned that I was intending on replacing the wires currently coming from my generator input box into a dedicated generator breaker (combined with an interlock) and putting the inverter output wires in their place, since the inverter and battery setup will be the primary backup power during outages. I'm out of slots in my load center, and an interlock only works with a single set of breakers, so how do I power the inverter when I have normal grid power to keep the batteries charged? The T6000 only accepts 240V AC input and I don't have any nearby 240V outlets to feed it. I could run the wires from the generator input box into the inverter, but that means every time I want to charge the batteries I need to setup and connect the generator. Do I need to add a subpanel to give me more breakers in order to feed the inverter? What would you do?

Assuming that you have an existing 30a or 40a two pole breaker. (Maybe for the dryer or ac compressor)
You can replace it with a quad breaker.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220519-135807_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220519-135807_Chrome.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 2
Just make sure that you never have the input and output to the inverter, connected (turned on) at the same time.

Assuming that you have an existing 30a or 40a two pole breaker. (Maybe for the dryer or ac compressor)
You can replace it with a quad breaker.
It's an older 200A Murray panel with all of the extra tandem breaker slots filled.

https://www.amazon.com/MURRAY-LC304...000BQMRQI/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I'm guessing a subpanel will be needed....or maybe I could use a 120V to 240V step up transformer plugged into a normal outlet for slow charging while on grid?

Last edited:
Yep...this will be our plan once we sell the house and move to our retirement location. We'll be looking at a whole house system at that point, which will likely be over $50k in equipment.
$50K seems over kill to me. This is my system. 30-395W panels with 3 IMO disconnects on 2 Ground mounts, 4- Growatt 5000 ES Inverters, 2- Split phase Transformers, 1- FS140 Surge protector and 2 added (other than original house panel) breaker panels. Total cost about $26K before $7k in Federal tax breaks. I have a 6 ton geothermal heat pump for 4 zone heat and air, 2 refrigerator freezers, Dbl convection ovens, microwave, electric dryer in 3,300 sq ft house. Gas h/w heater. All has been working well for about 2 months now. Hopefully my plans will help you.

Attachments

• 20220311_191829 (1).jpg
    20220311_191829 (1).jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220517_163012.jpg
    20220517_163012.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 12
$50K seems over kill to me. This is my system. 30-395W panels with 3 IMO disconnects on 2 Ground mounts, 4- Growatt 5000 ES Inverters, 2- Split phase Transformers, 1- FS140 Surge protector and 2 added (other than original house panel) breaker panels. Total cost about $26K before $7k in Federal tax breaks. I have a 6 ton geothermal heat pump for 4 zone heat and air, 2 refrigerator freezers, Dbl convection ovens, microwave, electric dryer in 3,300 sq ft house. Gas h/w heater. All has been working well for about 2 months now. Hopefully my plans will help you.
I will have almost exactly what you have, when my system is complete. (Building in phases)
I estimated my total cost to be the same, also.
Free labor is the best cost savings.

I will have almost exactly what you have, when my system is complete. (Building in phases)
I estimated my total cost to be the same, also.
Free labor is the best cost savings.
Free labor and when your done you know every part of your systm and what it does. Good luck and enjoy the build. I sure did.

Back