diy solar

diy solar

Backyard Cabin

No transfer switch required because this system is isolated and not hooked to the electrical panel. This small panel will just give me breaker protection if something is over loaded. Just a precaution!
My transfer switch includes 10 breakers, so it does that. You definitely want breakers. :) I had to upgrade most to 20A from 15A, but they are standard under $5 breakers at HD.

I do one day want to replace manual transfer with digitally controlled transfer switches. So, by putting off transferring today, you can consider researching a more automated approach than what I did. Technically, my inverter is fully automated, per se. But, what it can't do is determine which circuits in my home are on the inverter. This is an upgrade for next year, maybe. But, I'll be looking into PLC and other methods of digitally switching. This will require sensors to have automated optimization and decision logic. For now, though I really love it! Happy to hear you are enjoying consuming your PV power now, too. It's addicting because it is so rewarding lol

I do one day want to replace manual transfer with digitally controlled transfer switches. So, by putting off transferring today, you can consider researching a more automated approach than what I did. Technically, my inverter is fully automated, per se. But, what it can't do is determine which circuits in my home are on the inverter. This is an upgrade for next year, maybe. But, I'll be looking into PLC and other methods of digitally switching. This will require sensors to have automated optimization and decision logic. For now, though I really love it! Happy to hear you are enjoying consuming your PV power now, too. It's addicting because it is so rewarding lol
Ya because of this virus(Covid 19) thing I have been practicing my social distancing, so when I ordered the HomeLine Sub Panel Loadcentre with 2 Spaces, I bought 2 breakers (1) 15 amp and (1) 20 amp in case the 15 trips with surge loads. I also called my local Home Hardware and they delivered my electrical supplies to my front step. So cool to be able to support them! I also did the same thing from my local Micro Brewery and now I have (2) 20lt kegs of beer. This project was a great way to S.D. because of Covid 19.

Ya because of this virus(Covid 19) thing I have been practicing my social distancing, so when I ordered the HomeLine Sub Panel Loadcentre with 2 Spaces, I bought 2 breakers (1) 15 amp and (1) 20 amp in case the 15 trips with surge loads. I also called my local Home Hardware and they delivered my electrical supplies to my front step. So cool to be able to support them! I also did the same thing from my local Micro Brewery and now I have (2) 20lt kegs of beer. This project was a great way to S.D. because of Covid 19.
A friend of mine sells brewing supplies (mybrewsupply.com) and his sales have soared with COVID-19. I need to get CO2 for my kegerator, and am not sure that will be easy right now. But, haven't tried. Other priorities.

A friend of mine sells brewing supplies (mybrewsupply.com) and his sales have soared with COVID-19. I need to get CO2 for my kegerator, and am not sure that will be easy right now. But, haven't tried. Other priorities.
I buy my CO2 at a fire safety supply place. I just bought the tank and joined there exchange program. Then when I need more CO2 I just go in and exchange the tank. Just call them and maybe they will do the paper work and let you prepay and leave it outside for you to safely pick it up

Just so everyone knows this setup is perfect for windy conditions. We are in the middle of major gusting winds and there is no movement at all. At this point I would say it's a solid build. If anyone is interested in how to build please ask and I will give better pics. Hope everyone is safe and healthy!

Just so everyone knows this setup is perfect for windy conditions. We are in the middle of major gusting winds and there is no movement at all. At this point I would say it's a solid build. If anyone is interested in how to build please ask and I will give better pics. Hope everyone is safe and healthy!
We have very gusty winds right now, 30-40mph. But, my makeshift lawn chair setup is holding up like a champ. I reinforced it with some big rocks I got at HD today, along with a bag of river rocks on the dog post. I even threw a 4"x4"x8' leaning on one of the chairs for good measure. It hasn't shown any sign of budging. :)

On the plus side, after spending $240 at HD today, I think I have everything I need to finish 90% of the mount. Just need a sunny day now to paint struts and put a pole in the ground. That 4"x4"x8' is a different pole I'll use to mount the combiner box later. The one for the panels is a 6' steel corner post normally used with chain link.

Hi everyone, it has been just over a month and my "Classic 400 watt" from Will's blue print works great. I have a unfinished basement so this was an easy project to add a solar system too. I isolated the original lights and two receptacles. The two receptacles run my washer and a small freezer. I left these circuits hooked to the grid. As for the new solar system I installed a small electrical panel and hooked the Classic 400 into it. This now runs the basement lights(8 LED) and four receptacles. I have a kegerator(small bar fridge) running on this system and I made a new area in my basement for a stereo system. It's perfect to have a cold beer and listen to my tunes! As for running a desktop computer like I originally posted this does not work. The desk top uses 80-130 watts so the system just can't handle it if you leave the computer running 24/7. Over all I am just delighted with my new classic 400 and it was a great project during this pandemic.

(4) Renogy 100 watt Mono panels
30' of 10 gauge solar wire
marine master disconnect (battery switch) to disconnect power coming from solar
40 am mppt charge controller
50 amp inline fuse
5' of 8 gauge wire(1650 strand pure copper)
Samalex 1500 watt pure sign wave
36" 1 gauge wire
Small electrical panel 20 amp breaker
14/2 electrical wire, 4 receptacle boxes, receptacles and face plates
(2) Battle Born hooked in parallel
200 amp Samalex fuse
Victron BMV-700 battery monitor
6 gauge ground wire for grounding system

IMG_20200324_172004.jpgIMG_20200413_160147.jpgIMG_20200413_160157.jpg

Since April 25 I have did a few simple upgrades because this solar thing is my new addiction. I purchased a new Victron SmartSolar Charge controller 150/45. My other one works fine but it was really made for flooded acid batteries because I found the lithium setting just didn't have the control I was looking for. This unit was expensive but Victron really makes nice stuff! Funny thing too, this unit doesn't get as warm as the other and I didn't change a thing. Not sure what that is all about but that is a good thing because getting warm makes me think it would fail sooner. As I wrote previously, I am running a small kegerator(bar fridge with tap tower) basement lighting and occasionally I listen to music at my new solar stage(as I call it) and I am loving it.
Questions for who wants to pipe in, what would you add? More solar panels say (2 more in series string and hook to a parallel branch connectors) or purchase another Battle Born?
It's very obvious why I would rather not buy another BB because of the cost, but the reserve power is always welcomed.
I was thinking with more panels because I would be able to draw more PV's on overcast days. What's your thoughts?
BTW, the rack is very sturdy in high winds. We have had some real windy (gusting winds) conditions and it didn't move. I really think this system could be added to any space and will hold up for many years. Will, if you happen to see this it would look great in your backyard. ;) If anyone is interested I can provide measurements. Everything used is available at any hardware store.

This past week I added two more solar panels because of the pandemic it was hard to get more of the exact model of panels. I figured It would be best to use all the same ones. It all went very smooth because now I had a model sitting right there to reference. I added a third pair in series hooked to a parallel branch connectors and now I have a total of 600 watts. This works really nice and recharges the system sooner. I also have made (2) portable 100 watt panels to charge up my portable power box I built earlier this year. So as you can see like most of us here, my solar hobby has grown.

Attachments

• PXL_20201008_181430554.jpg
    PXL_20201008_181430554.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20201001_123415502.jpg
    PXL_20201001_123415502.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 6
Back