diy solar

diy solar

Bad Cell or other issue?

JaVid

I have 16 Lishen 272ah cells set up in (2) 8s 24v batteries. Overkill Solar BMS. I have completed top balancing on both packs (first in series and then finished each cell at 3.65V). I am now running capacity test at around .2C.

My first pack came in right at 272ah before I shut it down when lowest cell was 2.65.

Now I am doing my second pack and here is the screenshot. Looks like issue with #7. I did top balance yesterday and let them sit overnight. When I measured voltage before capacity test, every cell except #7 was right around 3.4. #7 was around 3.3. I figured I must have messed up #7 somehow and put it on the charger - it reached 3.65 and 1 amp in about 30 minutes. I let it sit for about 30 minutes and then started the capacity test. Not sure what to look for at this point...any help appreciated...

Attachments

• 5051989678728921071.jpg
    5051989678728921071.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 35
Well, I should have done more thinking and less posting. I just took my multimeter to #7 and its voltage is right with the others. That means I have an issue with the BMS lead connection, the crimp connection itself, or ? Not sure of next steps exactly.

walk the jst connector end of the balance leads with your meter.
Make sure it agrees with the dvom measurement at the busbars.
If not, redo the crimps.

I cleaned up all the terminals and re-attached bms sense leads and all seems well!

I think you are no way alone with this problem. I’m quite careful, and this same sort of thing has happened to me a couple of times in the first two months of use of my DIY, 24-cell pack. Count it as gaining experience.

Oxguard or noalox is also wise. Maybe topping with dielectric grease after torquing down your nut.

Back