diy solar

diy solar

Bad cell ???

RoySalisbury

I have a cell that seems to have an unusual charging slope. When I first got it it behaved like all the others. Slow slope until about 3.40-3.42, then a steady rise to 3.6 .. the expected slope. However, now it gets to about the 3.45 area and then just drops to 3.38 (while still pulling in power). All the rest of the cells get to the cut off as normal.

The second weird part is that when discharging, this cell behaves like all the rest and discharges normally (still has 280a capacity). Every now and then the BMS balance charging will get the cell to actually charge to 3.6 like the rest of the cells.

Technically, yes, its a bad cell. But other than the voltage for the pack being down 0.2v, and still having capacity, should I be worried? I bought extra cells just for instances where I needed to replace a bad cell (this is not the first time I have seen this), but should I replace it right away or just keep monitoring it?

Roy

Has the voltage direct on the cell terminals been verified with a separate voltmeter?

Is this cell #1 by chance? All the weird chit happens to cell #1.

Can you change the cell's position in your battery and see if the behavior follows the cell?

Is this cell #1 by chance? All the weird chit happens to cell #1.

Can you change the cell's position in your battery and see if the behavior follows the cell?
Not cell #1. In this case its cell #3 of 16.

Next time I get a chance I can rotate the cell to a different spot.

Back