diy solar

diy solar

balancing issue

kcampbell

Hey guys, So i got "new" LiFePo4 batteries through Alibaba. I made the exact 12v set up from the link below with the 1 difference of a 60amp daly BMS vs the 100amp. Switched to better busbars as well. everything else, the same even the cells at 105. I am having an issue of 1 not balancing. Ive tried putting them in parallel until matching, connecting BMS and charging. 3 cells go to 99, one tops out at like 44% at 3.35v or something close to that. Am i balancing these wrong? or possibly the BMS not keeping balance? not sure what to look at..

Have you tried top balancing your batteries? This is a critical FIRST step in building cells into a battery.
Hook your batteries in parallel, let them equalize over night. Then charge them robustly to 3.6-3.65v. At this point, this is as equal as your batteries will get. They will settle down to the 3.35v range in the next 12 hours, hopefully evenly.
If not very evenly, you can drain them down in parallel to around 2.7v (bottom balancing) - best for if you are planning on draining your batteries very often.

I prefer top balancing because I plan on keeping my batteries on the full end of the spectrum.
Sometimes multiple balancing sequences will help the batteries settle in to a similar pattern.

Good luck. Otherwise if you have a rogue battery, not much else i can recommend to bring it back in line. Maybe someone else has a idea.

Back