diy solar

diy solar

Ballasted ground mount with pavers?

BlueMarblePA

Solar Enthusiast
I want to build a four panel ground mount like seen here. Except... I don't want a huge piece of concrete. Instead, I am envisioning concrete for the post tie in, but I want to supplement weight with pavers. This way, it is more manageable if I want to move it.

I am only planning four panels, and I am actually planning to tie this in to my 7kw roof system by using leftover solaredge optimizers. I want to be able to disassemble should an inspector happen to come by :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230326-123441_Chrome~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20230326-123441_Chrome~2.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 38
What about casting concrete in blocks that’s as big as you’re able or happy to move? That gives you more size options than pavers. I’ve seen landscapers do this, and it’s sort of how AC pads are poured.

Another way to look at it is, you are effectively making custom size and shape pavers.

I saw a flat roof commercial system that used concrete blocks to keep the panels and racking from flying away in the wind. It was years ago and did not pay much attention to that part of the system.

If you can lift 2100 lbs with a large compact tractor or skid steer, "big block" 2x4 foot concrete blocks might work. Or the finished tops weigh half that. I'm using the tops for minisplit platforms since I've got four extra ones from a retaining wall build

If you google "ballasted solar mount" you get some pretty solid first results. If you have flat gound, I really like there https://ecolibriumsolar.com/ ... and you can use standard concrete blocks you can buy from any store.

To see one installed on the ground, check here: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/eco-foot-2-for-ground-mount.36873/
I have also seen these which give more tilt

But I still want to try to mimic the other design to get it off the ground

What about casting concrete in blocks that’s as big as you’re able or happy to move? That gives you more size options than pavers. I’ve seen landscapers do this, and it’s sort of how AC pads are poured.

Another way to look at it is, you are effectively making custom size and shape pavers.
I am also trying to envision how to do the connection between the pavers (custom pavers) and concrete footing? Create a custom tray?

I am also trying to envision how to do the connection between the pavers (custom pavers) and concrete footing? Create a custom tray?
I’m not sure about that, I was assuming the rack was attached to the concrete with anchors (in which case you would drill the appropriate holes for it in the pavers that you cast), but I haven’t looked at what the hardware looks like for ground mounts.

I’m not sure about that, I was assuming the rack was attached to the concrete with anchors (in which case you would drill the appropriate holes for it in the pavers that you cast), but I haven’t looked at what the hardware looks like for ground mounts.
I was thinking of something like a gabion basket. Perhaps I can put two unistrut in parallel to create a footing for a unistrut footing and use unistrut as the vertical rail. Then embed this within a gabion basket? The pavers would thus sit on the unistrut feet and would be contained within the gabion metal surround?

I want to build a four panel ground mount like seen here. Except... I don't want a huge piece of concrete. Instead, I am envisioning concrete for the post tie in, but I want to supplement weight with pavers. This way, it is more manageable if I want to move it.

I am only planning four panels, and I am actually planning to tie this in to my 7kw roof system by using leftover solaredge optimizers. I want to be able to disassemble should an inspector happen to come by :)
No freaking way that racking system can be installed without the large concrete pour…

Ground mount can certainly be built using all manner of ballast, but THAT rack is a single post design… it requires the structural and weight ballast to function.

Not knowing exactly what size panels you intend to mount so that obviously has to be planned for. However the simple ground mount system I posted about in Show and tell could easily be adapted to encase the posts in a concrete filled tire instead of burial. Use bolts for the cross pieces for removal. The post in the tire gives you a lever to tip it up and roll it off.

No freaking way that racking system can be installed without the large concrete pour…

Ground mount can certainly be built using all manner of ballast, but THAT rack is a single post design… it requires the structural and weight ballast to function.
This design creates two posts using a U channel. I contacted the company but they don't sell smaller ones.

APA geoballast

I am only looking to mount 4x280 watt panels. Standard residential size 39x65 inch each

Back