diy solar

diy solar

Bare Vs Tinned Vs Silver Copper Bus Bars

were does squished copper pipe fall in for buss bar material.

I took a quick look at the MSDS for a couple copper pipe manufacturers. 99.9% copper. That's good!

I'm not willing to spend the time to flatten and drill copper pipe. If it was all I had available, that would be a different story.

squished copper pipe. While many claim to use it, I put it in the same pile as junk.

Why it could be recomended to do this mix of stainless and aluminum in this situation, and not in batteries
Because that stainless washer is probably serrated and cuts into the aluminum past the oxide layer. Also the voltage on a lightening strike is thousands of amps and volts. At that point you are not concerned about voltage drop or things heating up because you just want to get the lightening to ground quickly to disapate it. With a battery terminal you want it to work efficiently for a long time without heating up.

Are you sure they are not tinned copper posts? Scratch them for the answer.

Aluminum posts surprise me though many things are possible in the lithium world. They could also be nickel. Maybe even tin - or just plated.

Aluminium terminals are found on almost every lithium cells ;)

aluminium is great, cheap, good electric and thermal conductivity .
and battery post is aluminum, so you do not have bi-metal contact problem.
only drawback is aluminium oxide is an insulator, so it would not work for marine use or place near the shore.
but if your batteries are in a dry place, it is ok.

It is too difficult to get squished pipe flat. It is difficult to get a good contact surface between the not-flat pipe and the flat cell terminal surface. 3/4 pipe would squash to near 2 3/4 inch wide. 1/2 pipe to near 2 inch wide. Just is so much easier to get and work with flat copper bar.

Ok, I see. I plan to use pipe for my main busbars (between the batteries, inverters, SCC, ...) but I have an hydraulic press so I can have a very nice squished flat surface.

I wouldn't use this method if all I had was a hammer ;) well, I guess you can always sand the surface flat after but it would be a lot of work.

It is too difficult to get squished pipe flat. It is difficult to get a good contact surface between the not-flat pipe and the flat cell terminal surface. 3/4 pipe would squash to near 2 3/4 inch wide. 1/2 pipe to near 2 inch wide. Just is so much easier to get and work with flat copper bar.

A good vice and big hammer works quite well. Copper plumbing pipe from the hardware store works great in my experience. My 1/2" pipe flattened to about an inch. I used rubber hose over the unflattened areas.

Copper bar has much less resistance than copper wire and lugs.

How much less?

I don't remember the specific numbers. After studying them I decided it was worthwhile to make my own copper bars in spite of having a lot of 4/0 copper thin stranded wire. Sometimes I lean towards perfectionism.

Back