diy solar

diy solar

Basen Rocks - 16 cells delivered flawlessly

DavidSTexas

My 16 Lishen cells arrived today. They all look great, no dents or blemishes at all. These looked like they just rolled off the factory floor. The boxes were a little worn from travel, but between the awesome foam padding and corner protectors on each case, there were no penetrations in the cardboard.

Also, someone at Basen is listening - I opened my hardware bags, and instead of the standard bolts, I found GRUB SCREWS and NUTS, 2 each per cell, plus the standard 4 bus bars... Awesome, because I had not ordered them yet! So I ordered on 12/15/2020 and they arrive today, 2/3/2021.

All cells arrived at 3.21 to 3.25 volts. I can't wait to start building.

Thanks SHENZEN BASEN and Emily Peng!

Also, thanks to all the forum members here. I would never have ordered had I not been able to read other's experiences.

I will add some pics later.

Thanks for posting. Great to hear after reading about a couple people getting questionable cells recently. I've got 16 lishens on their way from Basen via group buy, hopefully arriving before end of month.

Yeah, I must admit those posts had me a bit nervous as well. Hopefully, yours arrive in good shape too. I still have to to balance and test, but judging by looks alone, I am pretty condifdent that they will check out okay.

I ordered 32 from same. If the first 32 work out ok, I will order another 32. I'm interested in how things work out for you. Keep us updated please.

Sorry, I meant to post more frequent updates, but life got in the way.

So far, I am quite happy with the cells. The capacity increase has been insane compared to my lead acids. I had 600 AH (12v) of AGMs that were getting weak, so going to 1120 AH of LiFePo4 with more usable capacity has been mind-boggling.

That being said, it also presented challenges. I am off-grid, 100% solar. On a good day, I have 40 amps of solar coming in. That is not a lot to charge up 1120 AH, especially when I need to use some of that power each day.

I made 4 series packs with BMSs, and let them charge until each disconnected with a high cell voltage. It took just over 2 weeks to bring the cells from the shipping voltage, ~3.23 volts per cell, to the high voltage disconnect. During that time there were cloudy days, over a foot of snow in the desert, lots of time running my heater, etc.

Then I moved all solar/loads back to the AGMs, paralleled all the LiFePo4 cells, and used two 20-amp DC-DC buck converters to top balance to 3.65 volts. It took 4 days (daytime only) for the cells reach 3.65 volts and the current to taper down. I monitored the process with two multi-meters, a current meter, and a Raspberry PI equipped with a 16-bit ADC.

I reassembled the battery packs with the BMSs, and then chaos hit again. More snow in the desert, 15 degrees (F), and lots of broken pipes that I had to fix for others. I got to test the low-temperature cutoff on the JBD BMSs a few times. It works well.

So as it sits, my top balance did not take well. I am seeing high deviation, about 150mv in each pack at the top end of the charge (less than 10mv deviation below 3.45 volts), but I think that has more to do with my haphazard methods than anything else. I had nowhere near constant current during the charge process.

I had planned to have more equipment by the time the batteries arrived, as well as more solar panels, but I am playing catch-up due to a bit of a work slow-down.

I have been monitoring cell voltages, and I plan to rearrange the battery packs with cells that more closely match each other. Then I will take half offline, top balance each pack separately, and then do the other half. That should cure my problems, especially if I upgrade the buss bars at the same time.

I plan to only charge to about 3.4 volts per cell once the batteries are in permanent service, so that is below the major deviations anyway

Overall, I am happy, but as other forum members have pointed out (Steve), these are commodity cells, so some runners are expected. I am not worried at this point, because after nearly a month, I still don’t have 1 full cycle on these batteries yet. They have more capacity than I can use in several days at this point.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. Doesn't sound like the deviations on the extremes are unusual from what I've read.

Glad to see folks still ordering these.
I'm considering purchasing 4 cells for my mobile set up.

I ordered 32 from same. If the first 32 work out ok, I will order another 32. I'm interested in how things work out for you. Keep us updated please.
I ordered some from Basen and received them damaged. They are giving me issue. Headache dealing with Basen now. Hope yours are better shape.

Back