diy solar

diy solar

basic blueprint for Freezer and Air Conditioning

• Thread starter Deleted member 15980
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15980

I followed the 3 part video on the 500 watt Air Conditioner shed experiment, mostly about insulation .
what would a blue print design look like for the same model AC without the $2000. Generator application
South/East Arizona, Max Sun, only over 105 for 3 weeks a year.

ADD, basic back up chest freezer 10 cubic feet. 300 watts 1.5 amps 10 hours a day ?

TOTAL SYSTEM ?
How many panels ? what wattage? how many BattleBorn Battery's ? Size and type of inverter? (keep it simple)

Batteries:
500W * 12H = 6kWh (assumes 12 hours of run time per day, depends on your insulation)
Doubt the freezer is either 300W or 10 hr/day. 1.5A * 120V = 180W. Even 1.8kWh/day feels high for a chest freezer, let's say 1.5.

So, 7.5kWh/day, but with inverter inefficiencies, of 15%, 8.8kWh/day
BB is 100Ah * 12.8 = 1.28kWh.

7 of them should cover you.

The two devices are relatively low power, so a 1000-1500W inverter should be fine.

Panels would need to generate = 8.8kWh/day

Link #5 in my sig will tell you your available solar for your location, panel orientation and tilt. You'll take the 8.8kWh/day and divide it by the August hours to get the size of your array.

We love the sun here in NW Oregon, only over 100 for 1 week.
I don't get it what you meant "without $2000"? Regarding blueprint, go to DIY Solar Bluprints

Batteries:
500W * 12H = 6kWh (assumes 12 hours of run time per day, depends on your insulation)
Doubt the freezer is either 300W or 10 hr/day. 1.5A * 120V = 180W. Even 1.8kWh/day feels high for a chest freezer, let's say 1.5.

So, 7.5kWh/day, but with inverter inefficiencies, of 15%, 8.8kWh/day
BB is 100Ah * 12.8 = 1.28kWh.

7 of them should cover you.

The two devices are relatively low power, so a 1000-1500W inverter should be fine.

Panels would need to generate = 8.8kWh/day

Link #5 in my sig will tell you your available solar for your location, panel orientation and tilt. You'll take the 8.8kWh/day and divide it by the August hours to get the size of your array.
thanks for helping, 16-18 hours is more like it for "Air" trying to save battery costs What number of used "BYD" (cell size 3.3volt) would I use or how do I configure that number.
what is your "sig" ? my location is rural 80 miles east of Tucson, orientation of roof is poor( east west ) but nearly flat. Local power company
and state regulations forbid solar installations while hooked to grid. My install is for back up when power fails, as it does many times. Just want to stay cool and keep my frozen food.

I think you may be misinterpreting regulations. There's grid-powered and grid-tied. Grid powered just means you're using the grid to act as backup power for your "off-grid" system. There is no restriction from doing this. Grid-tie - where you can actually back feed power TO the grid requires permission and permitting depending on the authorities in your area (city, county, power company, etc.).

Also living in your state, I can promise you there are no state regulations that prohibit grid-tie systems or connecting an inverter to grid solely for the purposes of pulling power from the grid.

Saying you can't power an inverter with grid power is like saying, "you can't charge your golf cart from the grid." It's just a device that uses grid power.

Okay, so 12.4kWh/day assuming 18 hr/day run. That's probably very high if the insulation is good, and assumes the unit runs at max power for the full 18 hours - probably not the case.

If you're on a phone, turn it sideways, and you'll see my signature below each post I make.

Here's the results from link #5 for Tucson:

1603217724070.png

Using 5.55h for Sep (meaning you'll produce more Mar-Aug), 12.4kWh / 5.55h = 2.2kWh of panels. Round that up to 2500 to be sure.

You need 12.4kWh of batteries.

I'm not familiar with BYD cells, but if you built your own using the Xuba 3.2V 280Ah cells, you would need:

12400Wh/3.2V/280Ah = 13.8 cells. You'd need to round up to 16 since you need multiples of 4 or 8.

That would run you around $2000 total including the BMS.

You'd need 10 battleborns ($9500).

You could get 2500W of panels from Santan Solar for $700 right now ($70/250W panel).

One of these:

https://watts247.com/product/pip-lv2424-msd/ - another $700

This is likely a worst case. This might be way less. It's impossible to know for sure unless you actually have the daily energy usage of the units in question.

Back