diy solar

diy solar

Basic question - grid tie inverter with battery only

ctdctd

Hi,

I have a 24V 2.5kWh battery system which is used to power some stuff I use in the evenings and is charged during the day with my on grid solar.
It has spare capacity so I was thinking I could get a small 600W grid tie inverter to contribute to my home AC load - typically under a kW per day.

One of these - YH 600W Grid Tie Inverter

The basic question is:-
Would it power my house load only? What's stopping it powering the rest of the grid (!) when there is low or no house load?

Last edited:
It will run at peak capacity. Excess power that is not used by your appliances will go out into the grid. Not a good idea if you don't have a bidirectional meter that hasn't been configured for solar feed in. The feds will be onto you.

Imo, unless you're willing to go for a much more expensive power limiting inverter, your better off just keeping a few basic things off grid on a separate circuit.

It will run at peak capacity. Excess power that is not used by your appliances will go out into the grid. Not a good idea if you don't have a bidirectional meter that hasn't been configured for solar feed in. The feds will be onto you.

Imo, unless you're willing to go for a much more expensive power limiting inverter, your better off just keeping a few basic things off grid on a separate circuit.

Probably not a good idea then - at least we don't have the Feds on this side of the pond!

Back