diy solar

diy solar

Basics - What is the proper way to connect stuff?

Riley

Hi, Since I am doing a 48-12v to connect my 48v system to RV, some parts of my needs are not covered by the blueprint.

I wonder if you need a bus to connect all the cables or screw everything to the battery terminal?

Another issue is that a smaller device, such as led lights, may only need an 8 AWG or even 16 AWG cable; if I use a small connector to it, it will not go through the screws. Is it ok to crimp a bigger connector to a small cable to be connected?

Is the insulation from election tape is enough? I felt it was so thin, and I have some cables so close between positive and negative.

Following is the picture of my work, thank you!!!

1639893577821.png
1639893589445.png

1639893811251.png1639893822061.png

OK, a few thoughts:

On pictures 1, 3, & 4 you need to flip your terminal heads so they sit as flat and tight as possible. The way they're mounted right now the bump from the wire will try to push the terminal up and are going to cause pinching and put undue strain on your bolts. Just need to flip them over.

Picture 2, the wire size is determined by amperage so your wire thickness looks to be backwards if you've got 48v in and 12v out, you would output 4x the amperage out than in. It says it only puts out 9a, so even 14awg out is overkill, and that would only be 2.5a in which is almost nothing. Thin wire for high voltage, thick wire for high amperage.

You can use electrical tape, but if heat shrink is available (local hardware store or even Harbor Freight) then it's the better option.

For connecting up your 12v stuff, there should already be some sort of 12v fuse block or distribution system. You'll just go from the battery -> fuse -> buck transformer -> 12v fuse block. If there isn't a pre-existing 12v fuse block, install one.

The wire size from the fuse block to the load will be determined by the amperage load you need to feed. If it's a 10w lighting circuit then it'll take a much smaller wire size than a 10a heater feed.

Back