diy solar

diy solar

Batrium-experiences...

Thanks for posting your issues. You’d think they would have a employee monitor these forums to jump on this shit lickity split. My company monitors FB and Google and other forums in a different industry to get ahead of issues before they get out of control.
All it took in all the scenarios in this thread was keep the customer in the loop. Provide a shipping return tag, provide 5 free hours of tech support once we get this issue taken care of or some kind of compensation. Or a personal email hey we’re still thinking about and working on your issue. Even if they had said to you hey here’s a return tag and we will refund your money I personally would still contemplate purchasing the product.

If been emailing them for the past couple of weeks and they were pushing the K9 as it was cheaper

But now nope!

Was going to purchase Batrium for a 64 Lifpo4 battery setup to link with my 2 SolArk 15Ks in a closed loop ideally.
A company that is selling their products as fast as they can make them and has an overwhelmingly large percentage of happy customers isn’t going to waste someone’s time on edge case issues. It may turn around and bite them, but given the issues their competition has - i doubt it.

A company that is selling their products as fast as they can make them and has an overwhelmingly large percentage of happy customers isn’t going to waste someone’s time on edge case issues. It may turn around and bite them, but given the issues their competition has - i doubt it.
Let agree to disagree!
That is like saying you bought and it doesn't work properly tough luck as I have a shit ton of customers in the wings. If I came out to your home and fix your range and then it would just stop and every now and then, you would expect a working range that you paid for? I would respond I am too busy to trace down your intermittent issue...I'm just too busy to get to your problem. I have refunded many a customer their money because I could not fix the issue. You paid me to fix your product and I didn't. No different than purchasing a product and it does not work. Its the companies that take care of the "edge cases" is the company I and many others want to do business with.

Let agree to disagree!
That is like saying you bought and it doesn't work properly tough luck as I have a shit ton of customers in the wings. If I came out to your home and fix your range and then it would just stop and every now and then, you would expect a working range that you paid for? I would respond I am too busy to trace down your intermittent issue...I'm just too busy to get to your problem. I have refunded many a customer their money because I could not fix the issue. You paid me to fix your product and I didn't. No different than purchasing a product and it does not work. Its the companies that take care of the "edge cases" is the company I and many others want to do business with.
And it looks like Batrium are happy to let you do business with them.

I suspect their strategy in the field they are operating in will remain successful.

I can see that there are a few that are unhappy, i’m another customer that moved to a different BMS as the Batrium was too complicated for me.

There is a sweet spot in business - it’s often the case where 5% of your resources will satisfy 95% of your customers. You are better off this way than spending 95% of your resources satisfying 5% of your customers.

I certainly see your point, happy to agree to disagree on this one.

Thanks for adding your thoughts, apart from I mainly agree with both of you, I'm still disappointed, and given the fact Batrium is pretty much one of the most expensive solutions, I would expect slightly more enthusiasm to resolve the issues what customers might have. Perhaps sending replacement items for no extra shipping charge (even with the cheapest shipping method), and simple, inexpensive gestures what makes the premium paying customer better, and revitalize the feeling: "Yes it is worth it".
No doubt about there is plenty of happy Batrium user around, and I guess a bunch who didn't even noticed the issue which is listed in this thread, or simply don't bother to try to sort it out. Perhaps some of them like toms, believe they were not smart enough to set up properly and moved to a different brand. Either way ignoring issues, complains has several different reason, like unproficiency. Unfortunately asking premium price for a product is not quite as simple as picking up components, throw them on a pcb and linking several command line together. With no disrespect that's what most small company does especially in the close vicinity of the source of the cheap hardware (we all know where it is). Running a long lasting enterprise is pointing way further than having basic understanding of electronics.
How about offering open source software option? Just a thought...

I'm not sure if they reading this, but finally they offered a refund (not a solution). I just need to return it. :unsure:

Haha, our WM5 and MM8 might have come out for the same batch!
I was really bothered that I missed out on the new hotness, maybe less so after reading some of this stuff.

Later when I needed 2 more MM8's they had to run a special something because they were not expecting to sell any more.

After 4 months of waiting got my core back missing the daughter board, emailed today asking why that was left out. I will update
how they respond and if I get to pay shipping 4 times for one part.

Last edited:
Batrium agreed to replace after I forwarded the emails from Maxine showing it was doa. Batrium support responded and said the daughter board was not working and they would not replace it. This is shite support, I could have ordered another board if I had know when I paid for the defective core to be returned. But they never once mentioned they were only returning 1/2 of what I had paid for.

Batrium agreed to replace after I forwarded the emails from Maxine showing it was doa. Batrium support responded and said the daughter board was not working and they would not replace it. This is shite support, I could have ordered another board if I had know when I paid for the defective core to be returned. But they never once mentioned they were only returning 1/2 of what I had paid for.
Clowns ? but typical.
It seems to be my problem is sorted, but they have nothing to do with that, in fact they have no idea how CAN bus comm works...
Solution: Replaced my Sungrow inverter as it was not quite the right size and capacity for my needs. New inverter is a Deye Sun 8k unit. As soon I wired up and connected the two units, communication were established and seamlessly running in the past two weeks.
Conclusion: In order to figure out what is/could be the difference, the only thing I could point out is the missing ground (CAN ground) on the Sungrow unit. There were only CAN-H and CAN-L terminal, and I presume (no documentation regarding this at Sungrow, and they were unable to answer my question via phone) there is a common ground connection for the CAN and the battery system which is not marked and obviously I did not discovered until now. The lack of reference, the communication could jam during certain conditions which even leads to the "lockup" of the entire BMS.
During the fault finding period (zoom meeting) with Batrium, I sent pictures of both end of the comm line, and for my question whether the ground is important or not , due to the missing terminal on the inverter, the answer was a definite "... this thing has nothing to do with any of the issues...".
To be fair, I'm still not 100% convinced, as I had experienced "lockups" when the CAN was disabled back then... so I'm nervously calling the issue resolved.

It seems to be my problem is sorted, but they have nothing to do with that, in fact they have no idea how CAN bus comm works...
Solution: Replaced my Sungrow inverter as it was not quite the right size and capacity for my needs. New inverter is a Deye Sun 8k unit. As soon I wired up and connected the two units, communication were established and seamlessly running in the past two weeks.
Conclusion: In order to figure out what is/could be the difference, the only thing I could point out is the missing ground (CAN ground) on the Sungrow unit. There were only CAN-H and CAN-L terminal, and I presume (no documentation regarding this at Sungrow, and they were unable to answer my question via phone) there is a common ground connection for the CAN and the battery system which is not marked and obviously I did not discovered until now. The lack of reference, the communication could jam during certain conditions which even leads to the "lockup" of the entire BMS.
During the fault finding period (zoom meeting) with Batrium, I sent pictures of both end of the comm line, and for my question whether the ground is important or not , due to the missing terminal on the inverter, the answer was a definite "... this thing has nothing to do with any of the issues...".
To be fair, I'm still not 100% convinced, as I had experienced "lockups" when the CAN was disabled back then... so I'm nervously calling the issue resolved.
That is great you got it working hopefully, I just posted this for others to see. The new
support person made the experience very frustrating and costly. I'm going to look into alternatives
to see if their are any similar products as I do not want to work with them any further if possible.

Hello, I have the same problem with watchmon core and 2ud k9... it freezes. Any solution other than changing the inverter today? Thank you!
I have been in touch with them and sending them info regarding the problem. So far, no solution. They keep on sending firmware updates that does not resolve the problem.

I sold my system now, but the last month of use I have disabled WiFi to run it. That means no monitoring whatsoever, but at least I had no issue caused by the sudden stops. Try this but it will take a key feature away. Still can't feel they really up to the challenges (Firmware or costumer care).

I sold my system now, but the last month of use I have disabled WiFi to run it. That means no monitoring whatsoever, but at least I had no issue caused by the sudden stops. Try this but it will take a key feature away. Still can't feel they really up to the challenges (Firmware or costumer care).
That’s a shame, I have one of Batriums earliest BMS, it seems that in the quest to provide a solution to every application they have introduced quirks in some areas that are unpredictable.

It appears they are working on the customer experience more these days with extra staff and dedicated forum, it will be interesting to see how they fare moving forwards.

Back