diy solar

diy solar

Batteries aren't charging too full, what I'm I doing wrong?

still no help...
I looked at readings this morning, voltages are consistent, but capacities are off still..

average volt per cell is 3.94 vpc.... sun wasn't up yet.
total voltages were 55.2v
but remaining capacities were string1, 43%, string2, 15% and string3, 4%..
i can't figure out how to get them to calibrate themselves.. i even rebooted 1 bms (cold restart ) i get no reply from JK, or Heltec

When the packs were charged to 55.2 volts, what was the "Remain Capacity" in the BMS? My cells have not started to charge yet today, so they are still down from running the house last night. I am at 52.44 volts, and my my "RemainCapacity" is showing 271.0 AH. I have my total capacity on this pack set to 360 AH, so the "Remain Battery" shows as 75%. 271.0 / 360.0 = 0.75277 or 75.3%. I am pretty sure, this is how it calculates the state of charge percentage.

My JK-BMS reports my old battery bank as 99% remaining at the end of a charge cycle, and then my inverter runs for 10.5 hours, pulling about 22 amps for 5 hours, and then 11 amps or so for the remaining 5.5 hours. These are rough averages, just looking at the graphs from the Schneider XW-Pro inverter battery summary. But that power is split between both packs, for a total of 720 AH. The JK-BMS is only on one half of it. Doing some quick math, my inverter used 5 hours x 22 amp = 110 amp hours + 5.5 hours x 11 amps = 60.5 AH = 170.5 AH discharged. But that is from both banks again, so 720 - 170.5 = 549.5 AH remaining / 720 total bank AH = 76% remaining across both banks. My new bank with the dumb Daly BMS is taking a little more of the load, but for some quick math, it comes out very close. My full charge voltage is 56.7 volts on the 14S NMC cells, with the BMS set to 4.2 volts, and the release at 4.1 volts. Under volt protect at 3.1 volts, and release at 3.2 volts. My inverter shuts down when the pack voltage drops to 52.5 volts. At that point the pack reads 75% remaining. But it is really more like 60% remaining, because my "full charge" is not really 99%, it is just 85%. So take off that 15%, and the numbers look right.

What are you running for maximum charge and discharge currents? Could you run the system through a full cycle on just one pack? When you are charging, do all 3 packs show the same current at the top right? I think you may have an issue with the 3 banks evenly sharing the current. You bank one is taking more of the charge current, so it is counting up a higher state of charge, while bank three is taking very little current so it does not think it is charging. By running each pack through a cycle by itself, it will be interesting to see what numbers you get.

I have tried things with just 1 string. results are still the same.
My current load is not huge, i think the inverter pulls about 30A max on average current loads.
so that would be about 10A per string.
I'm wondering if changing the size of the battery capacity AH, maybe bump it up some ? from 75Ah to maybe 100Ah
I'm not sure what this setting would do...but i'll try anything at this point..

Back