diy solar

diy solar

Batteries - Encharge 3, BigBattery or Electric Car Parts?

John Schmidt

Any opinions on batteries from Enphase, Big Battery or Electric Car Parts? It looks like batteries are finally coming down in price.
$2300 for a 3 kWh Encharge-3:
$1900 for a 5 kWh Big Battery:
$2300 for a 5 kWh Electric Car Parts:

Looks like shipping is about $400 for each company.

Will Prowse recommends electriccarpartscompany, but he doesn't say anything about the model above.
Will has mentioned Big Battery, and seems to be OK with them.
Enphase is well-known, and likely a very good product, but is only 3 kWh.

I'd like to think that I could figure out how to use any of the three with a Growatt SPF 3000TL LVM-ES
Deleted the links to the products, just in case it is not allowed. Affiliate links rule?
Any thoughts or other ideas greatly appreciated! Thank-you.

Update: Probably could not get the Encharge to work with my Solaredge SE100000H.

Last edited:
How about assembling your own?
16 pieces 280 Ah cells and a BMS, 15 kWh for about $2000?
(that's 48V, could make smaller battery for less.)

Will has mentioned Big Battery, and seems to be OK with them.

Not sure that’s the case and Big Batt has threatened Will over an honest review he did. Details here:

Look around the forum for more than this:

I’m happy with my Signature Solar battery. Also discussed on the forum.

Last edited:
Not sure that’s the case and Big Batt has threatened Will over an honest review he did. Details here:

Thank-you for the tip about Signature Solar. They seem pretty good. I ordered one of their 5kW batteries this morning. Now, need to choose the proper Growatt, or other similar unit.

Thank-you again for recommending Signature Solar. Very impressed with the company.

My EG4 from Signature Solar arrived today. Looking forward to setting it up with my SPF5000ES and 5kW midpoint transformer (both also from Signature Solar).

Question: Is there any reason that I can't install my EG4 vertically (with the connectors up) rather than in a rack? I could make a sturdy wall mount bracket that will support 110 lbs with no problem. It would be easier (and cleaner) for me to install the EG4 vertically. Any thoughts on that idea? I pinged Signature Solar via their YouTube channel and via their support page. I'll update this thread with their response. Thank-you.

Thank-you again for recommending Signature Solar. Very impressed with the company.

My EG4 from Signature Solar arrived today. Looking forward to setting it up with my SPF5000ES and 5kW midpoint transformer (both also from Signature Solar).

Question: Is there any reason that I can't install my EG4 vertically (with the connectors up) rather than in a rack? I could make a sturdy wall mount bracket that will support 110 lbs with no problem. It would be easier (and cleaner) for me to install the EG4 vertically. Any thoughts on that idea? I pinged Signature Solar via their YouTube channel, but not to their tech support yet. Thank-you.
Your Welcome, just got my 4th one, Joe. They can lay on their side, per James at SS, just not upside down.

Your Welcome, just got my 4th one, Joe. They can lay on their side, per James at SS, just not upside down.
Four! Someday! Starting slow here for now!

Laying on their side, might include laying on the end (opposite the front panel?

Back