diy solar

diy solar

Batteries to power 50 amp welder

Snakey fiend

So i have a 50 amp welder and a 30 amp generator. Is there a way to build or buy a battery pack that would push the welder and be charged with the generator or generator and solar? Now i know this would create a lot of heat and drain the battery bank something quick but thats where the generator comes in. Idk i need some ideas and some know how because it would be nice if it were portable like i could stick it on a truck if im out in the middle of no where. I believe the generator has a 10 amp dc charge port. Also im not trying to have 50 solar panels blocking out the sun in the bed of the truck or something to crazy. A little crazy is ok though.

240V at 50amp is 12,000 Watts...
Most welders are 20%duty cycle, and rarely draw maximum amperage... but a 12,000Wh battery would power that demand for one hour... at 48v, that’s 250Ah...
30A generator at 240V can output 7200W... so, in between welds, and such, recharging can happen...

I have a 60Ah 48v portable generator... it weighs about 140Lbs...
I wouldn’t want to move around 4 times the weight... but it could be mounted in place for use in a truck etc...

Thank you for the reply i didn't realize it would be like a car battery and probably be the price of one it makes more sense to get the right generator but i live in a camper and want to build a battery pack for my travel trailer so this thought crossed my mind thanks for the input

inverter welder vs transformer based. The efficiencies are outstanding.

I weld with a 110v titanum 170 welder on my setup its 24v 3000w samlex pst inverter and a sbms120 with a 24v 200ah lifepo4 battery

I would assume a welder only draws that current when it's all the way up. If you plan on using it at 50% you should be fine with that generator. If not, buy a bigger one.

Back