diy solar

diy solar

Batteries

A DIY build from 3.2V prismatic cells. I got talked into it here, it's been fantastic. I never really added everything up, but estimate cost for everything to make it to be about $750 for a 230Ah battery pack. I spend another ten or fifteen hundred on other system upgrades for the RV, including a solar charging system.

If I was going to buy a OTS (off the shelf) one, SOK would be at the top of my list. They get very favorable reviews, seem to have happy customers that like what they got. And you have a choice on metal or plastic case, a real BMS, and lifepo4 cells.

Lots of people still buy Battleborn - no one ever says their product isn't top notch. And they have the cold-temp environment thing fully worked out. So if you camp in the snow you can be sure your BB batteries will keep you in the juice.

If that is too rich, then probably CHINS, or something off Amazon that Will has reviewed and recommended.
You might also be able to order one from China thru Docan in Houston - they don't bring in the fully assembled batteries to Texas, but do have them for sale. These are the ONLY people I would deal with from China.

The one I built based on the plethora of information on how to do it here:

I have built a couple of batteries from lifepo cells I wanted to upgrade and increase my capacity unless I am reading wrong I can buy a SOK 12v 206 amp hour for close to the same price as I can build one am looking in the wrong place

I have built a couple of batteries from lifepo cells I wanted to upgrade and increase my capacity unless I am reading wrong I can buy a SOK 12v 206 amp hour for close to the same price as I can build one am looking in the wrong place
What costs are you using to come up with near the same price as complete battery? Also cost of complete battery. Not saying you are incorrect, but show us what your costs are. Also, is this a mobile application, like an RV? An off the shelf battery might have some advantages over hand built of subject to vibrations and such.

There’s a sok battery for sale for a little over $1000.00 pic attached the best price II could find for 4 200 amp hour lifpo cells was $650.00 + components I think would bring it close to the sok battery. I’m putting it in a Winnebago Warrior Tv, if I’m going about this wrong let me know

Sorry forgot the attachment

Attachments

• F8452C29-436D-409A-8A71-04533041A40A.jpeg
    F8452C29-436D-409A-8A71-04533041A40A.jpeg
    92.3 KB · Views: 6
What costs are you using to come up with near the same price as complete battery? Also cost of complete battery. Not saying you are incorrect, but show us what your costs are. Also, is this a mobile application, like an RV? An off the shelf battery might have some advantages over hand built of subject to vibrations and such.
How much is shipping?
Shipping is free

There’s a sok battery for sale for a little over $1000.00 pic attached the best price II could find for 4 200 amp hour lifpo cells was $650.00 + components I think would bring it close to the sok battery. I’m putting it in a Winnebago Warrior Tv, if I’m going about this wrong let me know
I would agree the SOK would be a good deal since it is already packaged and ready to go.

I bought 4x280aH CATL cells from Docan for $540 shipped. Add a $100 BMS (JK/JDB/Daly) + HW to put it all together in a safe package. (Of course) If you go with an SOK/Battleborn you are not going to have to top balance them, or measure capacity, or assemble them into a safe package, etc, but I think that there is still a lot of $$$ to be saved and capacity to be gained by doing it yourself.

There's quite a steep learning curve for DIY, and if you don't already have lots of tools and experience, it's even steeper. Sure you can save some money, and get exactly what you want, but there's value in buying a drop in with a warranty, from a reputable company.

Would I build again? Yes, in hindsight it was a fun experience and success wasn't difficult. But I've been building stuff and a DIY extraordinaire for over fifty years. It's not something I would recommend for most people. And especially since it IS electricity and you have to be able to rely on it going forward in your application.

Time for an honest assessment. The bottom dollar in cost isn't always the best choice. There's added value in peace of mind and company/manufacturer to back you up. Kind of like building your own airplane - guess what, you don't even need a pilots license to fly it!! You become responsible for your own outcome, whatever good or bad that may be.

I would agree the SOK would be a good deal since it is already packaged and ready to go.
There's quite a steep learning curve for DIY, and if you don't already have lots of tools and experience, it's even steeper. Sure you can save some money, and get exactly what you want, but there's value in buying a drop in with a warranty, from a reputable company.

Would I build again? Yes, in hindsight it was a fun experience and success wasn't difficult. But I've been building stuff and a DIY extraordinaire for over fifty years. It's not something I would recommend for most people. And especially since it IS electricity and you have to be able to rely on it going forward in your application.

Time for an honest assessment. The bottom dollar in cost isn't always the best choice. There's added value in peace of mind and company/manufacturer to back you up. Kind of like building your own airplane - guess what, you don't even need a pilots license to fly it!! You become responsible for your own outcome, whatever good or bad that may be.

Hey I am a 81 year old retired HVAC tech and instructor at a technical school along with basic electrical I am familiar with diagrams and schematics my problem would you answer some questions from time to time

IMO, by the time you gather all the extra items like, wire, crimping tool, lugs, bms, whatever it will be housed into, and time, you will actually be into the prebuilt sok for less money, and have some kind of warranty.

If you were doing a 60kwh build, you could literally save thousands going diy, but in your case, my money goes to the out of the box ready to go sok.

Back