diy solar

diy solar

Battery AH sufficient to run a whole RV 3000w inverter....

TJM

Um, i'm on the fence s to either a 150ah or 200ah's of batteries to run a 3000w inverter...either one from Victron or Magnum.. Is there a basic rule of thumb? Or is it based SPEIFICALLY on a batteries' BMS as to which batteries can do this?

Inverter fully loaded?
That would be 250A at 12v
125A at 24v and 63A at 48v... so that affects the decision.

so you would need a battery with that output ability.
Also, the duration of the load is needed...

So, unless a pair or a few batteries can be placed in parallel or series, is how to develop enough ampacity to run a 3000w inverter at near the max?

12v....and I was hoping for a rule of thumb. But it looks like there may not be enough current via some Lithium batteries BMS to support the current...

I'm I missing something? Is it typical that 3 -100AH Lithium batts cannot run a 3000w inverter? Or is it that they need to be in series to pull off the current?

12v....and I was hoping for a rule of thumb. But it looks like there may not be enough current via some Lithium batteries BMS to support the current...
Generally, 2C is the demand rating of a battery, many are 1C, some are .5 or less.

battleborn banks are 1C... so, the 100Ah pack is 100 amp discharge, and .5C charging, or 50A

a 3000 watt inverter would need 3 battleborn to run fully loaded 3000watt inverter. And it would only last about 1.25 hours at that rate...

The more batteries in parallel,
the less current each has to individually supply.

”or the less current each battery needs to provide.“ [seems the same to me...]

Last edited:
I'm I missing something? Is it typical that 3 -100AH Lithium batts cannot run a 3000w inverter? Or is it that they need to be in series to pull off the current?
Parallel to gain current.
Series runs up voltage.

The more batteries in parallel, the less current each has to individually supply.
Correct, but worded a little confusing. Better to say, parallel splits the amp load.

or the less current each battery needs to provide.

Copy that. Would you run 3 or 4 and how would you orient their connection to use a 3000w inverter for 1/2 hour a day at 2500w (breakfast) usage, and Novacool RV 9cu' refer all day? I realize its a bit ambiguous. Thanks for sticking with me...

I expect to use 1000w solar, in an area that isn't awesome for harvesting here in the PNW...

3 would be fine, and 1/2 hour would leave plenty there for light loads. And 250 w solar would recharge it during an average 6hour sun day.
The nova cool demand varies, so it shouldn’t draw much all day. Solar extra 50W should cover it.

Wow, now we're talking! Ok, parallel or series, what would you prefer? (regardless of battery brand)

I guess the trick is identifying 3 batteries than can be put into series.

Obviously, there is a learning curve for a changing set of battery specifications.

Thank Gosh for a website like this. Thank you gents!

Perhaps look at some 24V batteries sized accordingly (individually or multiple in parallel) along with the 24V versions of the Victron or Magnum inverter.

Back