diy solar

diy solar

Battery backup for selected home circuts

KingSol

Hello, while not quite a solar question this forum seems to have all of the expertise I need to weight in on my problem.

Problem: I would like to add a “utility first” “battery backup” to selected critical circuits in my house-mainly the refrigerator and freezer, potentially also the sump pump. Though the sump is already with an attached extension backup pump with a 12v 100Ah battery.

Details: Ignoring the sump pump for a moment, using a kill-a-watt meter I have measured the refrigerator and freezer to be 1.2kW per 24 hours and 1.1kW per 24 hours respectively. I have been using a 2.5kW per day figure for planning purposes, really 3kW to allow for some other usage/planning factors. Adding solar panel generation is an eventual goal but should not be highly considered for this problem as that will likely occur at the next house. Also I plan on moving to a new house in 2 to 4 years so this setup must be transferable for the major components.

I have a small 2500watt inverter generator so for now the scheme during a “long term outage”, which I will coin as anything past 24 hours, would be to use the generator to recharge the batteries. Assuming this scheme would allow me to run the generator maybe 6 hours a day to recharge the batteries, I should have well over a weeks worth of fuel on hand to tackle an outage of at least that length.

Price:
I am looking for one step above the cheap stuff. Ideally not the cheap Chinese hardware, though made in the USA is not strictly required but would be preferred. I would prioritize reliability and proven track record just above low cost, though of course am also budget focused so don’t want to stray too far towards the expensive nice things. In my mind this will “not get used very often” being a utility first design so I don’t want to risk the hardware not working when the time comes.

What I am thinking so far:
Design:
Mount a sub panel and pull the freezer, refrigerator, and maybe one more circuit just for some outlets from the main panel over to the sub. Hook up an “off grid” inverter that would accept AC mains in and this inverter feeds the sub panel.
Buy battery bank. Ideally 1.5 to 2 days worth of power so I can recharge once a day. I believe that puts the math at 4.5 to 6kW total capacity.
I am looking at a 48v system since I will surely expand usage (and battery bank size) in the future. This means a single 48v 100Ah would just barely cut it over 36 hours, and 48v 200Ah should be a more comfortable 2+ days.

Hardware specifics:
-Outback vfxr3648 which is a 48v 3600w inverter, about $2k for this inverter so hopefully twice as good as the cheaper $1k ones.
-still deciding on batteries whether to get 4x 12v AGM batteries of 100Ah (or larger) or to spend more and get lithium. The soon-to-be released SOK server rack looks good to get one or two of.

Questions I have:
1) General “does this sound feasible/reasonable”?
2) Any hardware recommendations?
3) battery bank sizing seem adequate?
4) how to charge the batteries-I believe I will need a separate charger to charge from the generator, not sure if some kind of switch could be installed to accept generator into the AC main in of the inverter for when needed or if this is a bad idea.

1) absolutely feasible.
2) Growatt SPF-5000-ES and an auto transformer.
EG4 server rack battery (This is what I have, and started as just a battery backup)
3)48v 200ah is a good start , which can easily be expanded as needed.
4) a transfer switch ahead of the inverter AC input, will allow you to connect the generator to the inverter. And, utilize the inverters charger.

I am planning a very similiar system, size wise anyway. Was curious what all those parts add up to in dollars? How would the cost compare with something like a Tesla power wall?

I am planning a very similiar system, size wise anyway. Was curious what all those parts add up to in dollars? How would the cost compare with something like a Tesla power wall?
Why not use a Hybrid Inverter for around $400? it can do it all, switch itself, and later you could add in solar panels.
The batteries will cost around $200-250 per usable 1kWhr of storage.

4kWhr will cost you around $1500 in total.

For clarity, those of you using a manual transfer switch are using that to be able to run the circuits off generator or battery bank when needed? So you are not using an inverter that has an automatic transfer switch? Obviously then you would need to manually change each circuit during an outage. Can you describe why this path was chosen over an inverter with auto transfer?

The only reason that I can see for this. Is if your inverter isn't large enough to handle the loads, at all times. Say, the inverter is carrying everything just fine. And then, you need to use an air compressor to air up a vehicle tire. Maybe, this would be too much for the inverter. Then, you would switch just that circuit to the grid, until you are finished.

Referring to a portable air compressor. That you might plug in at different locations, for different situations.

Mine was installed for generator backup during outages years ago. It seemed like a convenient place to input a c from the inverters. 3,000 w parallel split phase.
It allowed me during beta to bring on individual circuits one by one. Now however I never touched those switches.
The inverters are fed split phase and the automatic transfer switch in the inverters decides where power comes from.

Back