diy solar

diy solar

Battery backup

Ironman482

New member here , I have a 9kw grid tied system that I want to be able to use with a battery backup system , as the system was installed when grid goes down the solar is turned off too ,I realize this is nessicary to protect linemen working on the grid ,but I want to be able to use my solar panels / batteries or a generator to maintain most of my electrical appliances, can someone post me in the right direction,

Hello, Easiest way to add battery back up to an existing grid-tie system is to go with an AC coupled Inverter. The terminology comes from the fact that there is NO DC source like solar panels connected directly to your batteries, the internal charger in the new battery back up inverter charges the batteries. Do some Internet searching and read up on the concept then come back to the forum if you have specific questions.
AC coupling requires a UL1741SA compliant Inverter. Schneider, Outback, Sol-Ark are a few brands you can look at and download the datasheets and user manuals.

Thanks Bentley, question are the regions Agm 200amphr batteries a good buy or is there a better option?

Thanks Bentley, question are the regions Agm 200amphr batteries a good buy or is there a better option?
I cannot answer your question regarding AGM batteries or that particular brand regarding solar applications. I'm using LiFePO4 batteries. Although I can say that the pair of Sears Die Hard platinum AGM's in my Dodge Ram lasted 10 years but the use case and duty cycle between Solar storage and automotive are very different.

Back