Battery Balancer for lifepo4

hongning

I am planning to change from a 12V to a 24 Volt system. I plan to hook up (2) Ecoworthy 12V 100AH lifepo4 battery in a series to make 24V.

I believe I read that I will need a Battery Balancer.

Anybody ever used this PowMR 24V Battery Balancer

I just prefer this over the Victron Battery Balancer as Victron dissipates power, compared to moving the power.

Any comments or ideas on why I should use Victron or even if its applicable for a LifePO4 batteries

Thanks in advance

rmaddy

Full-time Solar-powered Trailer Life
You shouldn't need a battery balancer. The trick is to properly balance the two 12V batteries before you put them in series. If done correctly you shouldn't have any problems after that. Worse case you might need to rebalance the two batteries once a year.

Start with a good LiFePO₄-friendly 12V battery charger. Fully charge one 12V battery. Fully charge the other 12V battery. Now connect the two batteries in parallel (not series). Then connect the 12V charger so one lead is on one battery and the other lead is on the other battery. Fully charge. Disconnect the charger but leave the two batteries connected in parallel over night.

You now have two equally charged and balanced batteries. Connect them in series for your 24V system.

hongning

I would hold off to see if this is even an issue.

Upgrading from 12 to 24V is inconvenient and spendy enough.
You shouldn't need a battery balancer. The trick is to properly balance the two 12V batteries before you put them in series. If done correctly you shouldn't have any problems after that. Worse case you might need to rebalance the two batteries once a year.

Start with a good LiFePO₄-friendly 12V battery charger. Fully charge one 12V battery. Fully charge the other 12V battery. Now connect the two batteries in parallel (not series). Then connect the 12V charger so one lead is on one battery and the other lead is on the other battery. Fully charge. Disconnect the charger but leave the two batteries connected in parallel over night.

You now have two equally charged and balanced batteries. Connect them in series for your 24V system.
Thank you for the tips, I would do that.

DThames

Photon Sorcerer
Suggest you consider getting a couple of DC cheap meters, of any sort, and connect them, one to each battery. Keep any eye on them during normal use. If you see one trending higher voltage (at full charge) than the other, you can drain the high one down a bit to get them closer together.

hongning

Suggest you consider getting a couple of DC cheap meters, of any sort, and connect them, one to each battery. Keep any eye on them during normal use. If you see one trending higher voltage (at full charge) than the other, you can drain the high one down a bit to get them closer together.
Thats a good tip Thanks

rmaddy

Full-time Solar-powered Trailer Life
Another option is to use something like a Victron SmartShunt or BMV-712. Since having a shunt and battery monitor is useful in its own right, you may already be planning on one. They have the additional feature of being able to do mid-point battery monitoring when you have two batteries in series. I have this in my system (24V made from two 12V batteries). These particular battery monitors can alert you if the voltage difference between the two batteries becomes greater than a chosen threshold.

DThames

Photon Sorcerer
Another option is to use something like a Victron SmartShunt or BMV-712. Since having a shunt and battery monitor is useful in its own right, you may already be planning on one. They have the additional feature of being able to do mid-point battery monitoring when you have two batteries in series. I have this in my system (24V made from two 12V batteries). These particular battery monitors can alert you if the voltage difference between the two batteries becomes greater than a chosen threshold.
I have a SmartShunt (great product). I was not aware it has a mid-point connection. I have not need, so didn't look that close. Nice to know.

JayEmmEll

I use the Victron Battery Balancer on my 2 LifePO4 Batteries and it works well. I did all the steps of top balancing, but having a balancer is worth the money IMO. I made of installation and review video of the balancer here.

Please let me know if this is not allowed and remove post. I'm just trying to help.