diy solar

diy solar

Battery bank low capacity, 2 month of use

13.2 even is not a fully charged sla...

It needs to hit 14.4 really.
Does the charger you used have a sla setting? If you are only hitting 13.2v, the cells wont get fully charged.
The second charger its a brute force charger, its from the 70s, its a transformer and a rectifier i think, you select the voltage with a lever 6v or 12v, and the power with a wheel so it does what i tell him to do, anyway batteries are dead, i also charge them with a MPPSolar Lv2424 the green one, of my property just that have to be 2 in series

1) Location: Maracaibo, Venezuela really good sunny days, sun peak its about 1-2 pm, good production at 9 am even at 5-6 pm

2) Will do this test

3) My country its currently a chaos, there is no record from the energy company and my friend didnt track record of it, the continuos load expected its about 4000w, two 12.000btu air conditioner (110v), led lights, one fridge, once in a while a mocrowave

Thanks for the assessment, i believe its insuficient battery bank or one battery deffective damage the hole system
Ac, fridge and microwave are noncontinous loads, so you "MIGHT" get 3 hours out of those batteries safely, but you need a system to protect the batteries from over 50%discharge...
If you have been drawing 4KW all day from the batteries, yeah... they wont last a month...

Can't find any information whatsoever on "Efrenar" brand / label. If there is a link or something like a pdf manual, it would be helpful for the Solar Charge Controller. Being that Venezuela Solar is located in Maracaibo, Venezuela (per their user profile) I think solar access is pretty good provided no trees to block it ;-) In some ways, this is simpler to help because they use the same power standards are north America I believe.

Is the Solar Controller capable of putting out the required volts & amps to properly charge the batteries is my 1st question ?
Second Question is exactly how much is needed for (8) 150ah 12v SLA batteries in a 48v, 4S 2P arrangement ?

2.4 kw of panel setup as 4s2p should be delivering at least 2kw average +/- a bit and 120VDC on average, which should do it but "just" being that the batteries are SLA. It certainly would not hurt to add more panels, even 600W would help makeup for poor production days (overcast/cloudy etc)
Sorry, EFENAR, not EFRENAR

There are no manuals provided by the seller here in Venezuela

Can't find any information whatsoever on "Efrenar" brand / label. If there is a link or something like a pdf manual, it would be helpful for the Solar Charge Controller. Being that Venezuela Solar is located in Maracaibo, Venezuela (per their user profile) I think solar access is pretty good provided no trees to block it ;-) In some ways, this is simpler to help because they use the same power standards are north America I believe.

Is the Solar Controller capable of putting out the required volts & amps to properly charge the batteries is my 1st question ?
Second Question is exactly how much is needed for (8) 150ah 12v SLA batteries in a 48v, 4S 2P arrangement ?

2.4 kw of panel setup as 4s2p should be delivering at least 2kw average +/- a bit and 120VDC on average, which should do it but "just" being that the batteries are SLA. It certainly would not hurt to add more panels, even 600W would help makeup for poor production days (overcast/cloudy etc)
Its efenar not efrenar, sorry

Yes we use the same standards 120v and 240v spliphase, most likely 110v per line

Cant check dc amperage, i dont have the means, just ac wattage and amperage, with a kill-a-watt metter and a chinese toroidal coil meter, but just AC, any way just recently got informed that the system was used for around 8 to 10 hours at night with at least one AC, fridge, led lights, wifi, desktop Fan, ceiling fan and two 42" old plasma Tv, so i think we can close the subjet with the couse being over discharging the batteries multiple times

Thanks a lot

Thanks for the response.
If possible, procure a grid style meter from scrap & get it installed. With pencil & paper record daily numbers from the grid & inverter. In your situation conservation is paramount I'd assume to preserve resources for food & meds. Will pray for you, your loved ones, & friend.
I will also pray for you to be free, And will never buy citco gas here in the state of NH. (The live free or die state) my we never take freedom for granted.

I want to thank everybody for your help, i will be doing some testing so i can confirm the source of the problem, but i think it was overdischarging the batteries

If you can locate an old (50's or older) car in a scrap yard there may be an amp meter ±50 amps in the dash.
Not terribly accurate nor precise but better than what you have ATM.

If you can locate an old (50's or older) car in a scrap yard there may be an amp meter ±50 amps in the dash.
Not terribly accurate nor precise but better than what you have ATM.
The old cars I drove only had 20 or 30 amp meters... what had 50’s?

Back