diy solar

diy solar

Battery Bank

ROMAD3000

I have 4-395w panels going into an MPP 24v unit that was utilizing 12 Nissan leaf cells as my battery bank and I was not educated enough to deal with that type of battery bank and was sold an inferior BMS and well I'll let you judge from the pics and comment how lucky I was not to have blown up and burnt down my Skoolie. So my question is....I want ease of use plug and play battery bank to go with my 24v system of the 4 panels and MPP 24v unit. I have disconnects and fuses inline on the system as well. I just need to scrap the old battery bank and replace it with something easy and safe. Hopefully a self contained unit with BMS built in. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I bought 4 Chins 12-volt 200ah batteries from a Chins rep who posts on this forum; link to follow. They're excellent batteries with 200 amp BMS. The build is excellent, and the only thing Will didn't like was they didn't have a low temp shutdown, which I don't care about; my batteries are inside, and I know not to charge them if they are freeing. They gave me a price of 15% off that of the Chins store on Amazon. Free shipping to my door, everything came early and in great shape.
Go to this link and ask @God's Beloved for a quote. Look in the Amazon Chins store to see what they have.
https://diysolarforum.com/threads/chins-battery-introduction.26787/

I have 4-395w panels going into an MPP 24v unit that was utilizing 12 Nissan leaf cells as my battery bank and I was not educated enough to deal with that type of battery bank and was sold an inferior BMS and well I'll let you judge from the pics and comment how lucky I was not to have blown up and burnt down my Skoolie. So my question is....I want ease of use plug and play battery bank to go with my 24v system of the 4 panels and MPP 24v unit. I have disconnects and fuses inline on the system as well. I just need to scrap the old battery bank and replace it with something easy and safe. Hopefully a self contained unit with BMS built in. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

How many Ah’s are needed and what voltage?

Do you have large draw items - inverter running 120v large items?

Do you want drop in batteries or do you want to buy LiFePo4 cells and create your own battery.

LiFePo4 is much safer than the cells used for EV’s. But either way hopefully you learned the lesson that the battery is only as good as the bms. That is the one place to not go cheap.

I like to be able to see what is going on - some kind of reporting from the bms.

Let us know what your requirements are and we can recommend stuff that can fit your needs.

Remember YOU are the system engineer- it is your job to make sure you get “stuff” that will work and meets all the design criteria. Don’t buy stuff until you understand it completely and know exactly how and where it will work.

Good luck.

My preference would be to buy 24 volt batteries instead of buying 12 volt batteries and putting them in series. This applies to LiFePO4, not lead acid.

24 volt LiFePO4 batteries aren't as common as the 12 volt version, but they're out there.

Battleborn makes only one 24 volt battery. Unfortunately, it's only 50 Ah.

I understand your reluctance to go with a DIY battery, but with guidance from the forum you can put together a very nice and very safe LiFePO4 24 volt battery.

Back