diy solar

diy solar

Battery Box Build

I cut some lids, and decided to make up flexible 'bus bars' - really just 2awg jumpers. I used up my stock of crimp ends and need more.
I'm going to keep using the factory bus bars for pairing up the cells, but will have flexible ones to jumper the pairs in series.
I've been putting together an order of parts for my heater/control integration and have had the additional parts waiting to go into that order.

I have a couple of tasks to do on the boxes themselves:
I'm going to add 1/4 inch T-nuts to the outer shells - I'll use them to bolt the lids down, bolt the boxes to the metal flooring in my camper bay and to fasten some joining panels between the front and back of the shells.
I'm also trying to decide if I want to drill and tap my bus bars to secure my BMS wires or if I want to use ring terminals on the main terminals.

Here's how I see this wrapping up once I've crimped the pile of cabling.
1) I have to shuck both battery packs of their shell. not a huge deal, just annoying.
2) Throw some finish on the boxes to prevent moisture - I have some spar varnish that should do.
3) Install my various T-nuts, carpet coverings, etc.
4) Take the assembled shell (sans batteries) down to my camper, mark and drill my mounting holes and test mount the entire shell.
5) Re-assemble the pack and shell.
6) Install the final pack assembly (and curse at the bolt holes when they don't quite line up.)
7) Do up the final wiring.

Last edited:
it was more this that i was wondering about (Power: 20 ± 5W Thermostat: 70 Celsius) i don't understand the power consumption, is it only 5 watts 70c seems high for 5w.

70° C is high for a battery. I don't think my butt would like it either. Considering that a "good" temperature for LiFePO4 cells is 25° C (77° F), 70° C (158° F) is way up there. It looks like the power range in 15 watts to 25 watts, not 5 watts.

There is no need for the battery to be at 25° C if it is in storage. Actively in use, yet.

jonp, consider starting your own thread or posting in a thread about warming pads. Here are some suggested threads:

jonp, consider starting your own thread or posting in a thread about warming pads. Here are some suggested threads:

i ordered the plant warmer maybe when i try it out i will start a thread. thanks... gosh $220 for the battle-born heat pad!!

Holy moly I am sore now.
Pardon the wire mess, I keep messing around.
Insulated the bottom of the bay, then tossed my original mounting plan.
Opted for brackets with 5/16 carriage bolts.

IMG_20210424_181643.jpg

Made up doubled 2awg jumpers a while back. Kept the bus bars for parallel cells.
IMG_20210424_181614.jpg
Finally, I designed and printed up a mount for my new sbms0.
IMG_20210424_174951.jpg

I've been waiting for this! Great work! Where did you get your wire from for your SCC etc? Looks way more flexible than mine! I can't wait to see this thing fired up! I was wanting to go 24V but now I think i'm going to go with the new Victron Multiplus II...just fits the weekend warrior that I am a little better.

Those battery boxes look OEM!

Thanks for the compliments.

It's working right now. I still need to add my extra controller layer but the pack sucked up nearly 4.5kwh of solar energy today. Would have been more but I had things disconnected while I replaced my welded solenoid and added a manual override/cutoff switch and precharge resistor bits.

Back