diy solar

diy solar

Battery build-equipment needed

Bluedog225

Texas
I’d appreciate some recommendations for equipment needed to build a 48 volt battery using EVE-280Ah batteries from Houston.

Aside from routine electrical stuff (crimpers, wire, torque wrench, ferrules, etc), as far as I can tell, I’ll need some sort of tester, a charger, and battery management system. I hope to build several of these batteries and don’t mind getting the right equipment up front.

Any general categories and specific recommendations appreciated.

Not saying you should go any particular way on mounting, but clamping is a nice way to hold all the cells solid and so they don't start bulging out on the sides later.

I also had wanted a clamp assembly for my own banks so I could put an aluminum plate on bottom which I installed a heat pad under to provide heat to the cells (heat distributes out evenly across the aluminum plate) in case the temperature drops to freezing, the cells can stay warm.

Here is one approach, how I did clamping (some people use other materials like wood or whatever creative way they come up with)...

Some people use springs to maintain more exact pressure, I chose not to, but you can search for those threads too on springs to make an informed decision on it.

You may want to get a regulated power supply for top balancing cells too. I just happened to go with an RD6012w (they are up to RD6018w now). You have to select the one that includes the case + power supply + front panel/ buck-boost module, then do final assembly yourself.
(there are lots of YouTube videos to show how to assemble and operate them)

A lot of guys here liked the JBD BMSs, which I did get for my 48v setup, but one thing you may want to consider is BMS communication protocol and getting a BMS that can natively speak same language as your inverter, to provide SoC information from BMS-to-inverter. Some people might just add in a shunt or amp-clamp solution to provide SoC information to the inverter in a different way.

I found out later that JBD BMS does not natively talk with MPP inverters, but I could've bought a Seplos BMS which would speak the same language as MPP. I did find a workaround, to put a Raspberry Pi with 'Solar Assistant' software installed in the middle, as it supports MPP inverters, and supports JBD BMS protocol so it can bridge the gap.

Last edited:
Back