diy solar

diy solar

Battery Capacity vs Panel Array Output

chocoheadfred

I'm trying to run the math on the cost/benefit between storage power vs power generation, for designing a new system for my off-grid tiny home.

I'm looking at SanTan Solar used panels which are crazy cheap like $0.25 per watt. Compare this to the 5KWH battery I'm looking at for $1500.

With this large discrepancy, why not just go crazy with your power generation then and minimal on the battery spend? (I understand the risk for cloudy days etc but this is a tiny home with minimal energy demands and we can/will have a backup trickle line run from the barn if needed). It was recommended to me that we start with 4 of these batteries ($6k) yet I'm leaning towards offsetting this battery cost with more panels/inverters (and possibly PV Combiner Box(es)). We live on a farm and have tons of clear open land next to the tiny house so we are fairly unlimited with our ability to add panels (there are 5 clear acres around the home). We are looking at this stackable off grid inverter with a max PV array power of 6KW, x2 is 12KW max.

Feels like stacking the grid inverters and max solar generation is a better use of dollars today relative to more battery storage with lower PV array power. Those $1500 batteries add up quickly.

Am I thinking in the right mindset or are there other considerations here? Also with respect to the environmental costs, are solar panels or these batteries more unfriendly at the end of their life?

Also, I have basically little idea about what I'm talking about and am in way in over my head. First post here so please be kind and thanks for taking the time to read this.

it really comes down how dependable you grid is, if you net metering including required certifications to your installation, will be worth your while.

some power companies only give you a 1/5 of the price per kwh for the power you create, meanwhile doule charging you for time of day.

Remember , when grid tied, if you grid is down, so will be your generation

First, you need to figure out your power needs, how many kwh per day you need, then consider how many cloudy days you're likely to have and figure out how many kilowatt hours of storage you're going to need. Those panels only make power half the day, and lots of days they won't make much, depending on where you are.

Right now my 10KW array is making about 500 watts, pretty typical in the winter here in Oregon in thick overcast and rain, and I can have quite a few days of that in a row. Don't design for optimum conditions, design for real life. I had 20kwh of storage, just added another 30.

Back