diy solar

diy solar

Battery Charger tripping GFCI

Correct...invertor is not connected to AC side in any way, just trailer battery.

The GFCI outlet in the RV is the only thing tripping. If I disconnect the charger I can run other items (heat gun, etc) off this same outlet and it does not pop. The charger is the only thing causing a problem.
Does the Charger have a grounded plug? Do the other items that you have tried have grounded plugs?

Does the Charger have a grounded plug? Do the other items that you have tried have grounded plugs?
Very good question...the items I tried were non-grounded. With that said, I was able to look at this a little more today and tested the following:

1. With the charger disconnected I tested all AC outlets in the trailer with a outlet tester and all test good. I also ran a drill with grounded plug off all outlets and nothing tripped. AC side looks good as far as I can tell.
2. The trailer is only 6 months old so the above is not surprising since we have not had any other power issues to date.
3. Every outlet in the trailer is GFCI protected so no opportunity yet to test on a non-GFCI outlet in the trailer. I will need to hardwire or add non-protected outlet for this off an available breaker slot.
4. I ran the shore power chord to a non-GFCI outlet inside my house and the trailer GFCI outlet still tripped.
5. I disconnected the charger from the batteries and plugged into trailer GFCI outlet and nothing tripped. Not surprising since there was no power draw but wanted to rule out a short in the charger or power cable.
6. The GFCI outlet takes a good 30 seconds before tripping. Before the GFCI trips the charger is working and sending 14.6V.
7. Prior to the install I bench tested the charger and battery and everything was good.
8. If I power the charger direct off an extension chord to my house nothing trips.

Still at a loss as to what the issue is so appreciate any feedback. This forum has been awesome and I am thankful for all help to date.

If I power the charger direct off an extension chord to my house nothing trips.
Is it a GFCI at the house? Were the batteries hooked up to the charger?

Forgive me if you have already said, but what is the make/model of the charger?

Is it a GFCI at the house? Were the batteries hooked up to the charger?

Forgive me if you have already said, but what is the make/model of the charger?
I tried the shore power connection to both GFCI and non-GFCI at the house. In either case the trailer GFCI outlet trips.

Yes, batteries were hooked up to charger. If I disconnect batteries from charger trailer GFCI does not trip.

Progressive Dynamics 45 amp lithium charger (PD9145ALV)

Wow.... It sure sounds like the charger is leaking through the DC. How hard would it be to disconnect the DC from ground so the whole DC circuit is floating?

Unrelated to the GFCI: Unless they have changed in the last year or so, those Progressive-Dynamics are not really a charger. They are a fixed voltage power supply. That means they will never disconnect or go into a float mode. They are fine for charging your batteries, but *do not* leave them on the batteries for an extended time. It will age your LiFePO4s.

When I contacted Progressive-Dynamics about this they said that they worked with battleborn to develop the lithium version of the charger and that is what Battleborn wanted..... I am not sure what really happened but it is sad that two good names got together to create a sub-optimal product.

... It sounds as if the balancing mode on the charger (if it has one...) is shooting the voltage over to the ground... I don't think they are supposed to do that... Maybe check the charger (while unplugged!) for continuity between the Neutral and ground. Again, only do this with the charger completely disconnected from batteries and AC!

Also, try a different GFCI. Those things can go bad fairly easily, so plug the charger into another GFCI (with or without an extension cord)

Wow.... It sure sounds like the charger is leaking through the DC. How hard would it be to disconnect the DC from ground so the whole DC circuit is floating?
I already tried disconnecting the clouded ground connection below and it still tripped. With that said, it may still grounded at the 7-pin connector but I will need to check.

1614647989974.png

Work was crazy the last month but I have finally been able to get back to this project. I went back through everything to double checked connections, created a floating DC system, triple checked charger, and everything looked good. This lead me to taking a harder look at the GFCI's which is were I should have started because I discovered not one but two bad GFCI's. Simple answer and kicking myself for not finding sooner.

Thanks for all the comments on this.

Correct. I tested charger on a number of other GFCI outlets and determined I had two that were bad.

Back