diy solar

diy solar

Battery configuration

Blackout-proof

I am installing a 6,500 watt 48 volt inverter. I have eight 24 volt batteries. Should I put all 8 in series or two sets of 4 in series then in parallel? Or something different?

All 8 24V batteries in series would be 192V. 4 24V batteries in series would be 96V. You need two 24V batteries in series to get 48V.

There's only one option: 2S4P - that's 4 sets of 2 in series with the 4 sets wired together in parallel.

You need pairs in series to add voltage. 24 + 24 = 48 volt inverter.
Connect the pairs in parallel to increase capacity. I would make the parallel connection at a common bus. Then a single wire to the inverter.

Kinda like this but yours will have 4 instead of 3:

1851-1552875813442.png

All 8 24V batteries in series would be 192V. 4 24V batteries in series would be 96V. You need two 24V batteries in series to get 48V.

There's only one option: 2S4P - that's 4 sets of 2 in series with the 4 sets wired together in parallel.
Understood. Thank you for your help.

You need pairs in series to add voltage. 24 + 24 = 48 volt inverter.
Connect the pairs in parallel to increase capacity. I would make the parallel connection at a common bus. Then a single wire to the inverter.

Kinda like this but yours will have 4 instead of 3:

1851-1552875813442.png
I see in your illustration where the pairs are connected in series then the three pairs are connected on the neg side of the series connection. Is that necessary?

I see in your illustration where the pairs are connected in series then the three pairs are connected on the neg side of the series connection. Is that necessary?
That's from chapter 3 of the "Wiring Unlimited" document:

That would only be done for the purpose of measuring the mid-point voltage to ensure the batteries are staying in balance. I suggest reading the whole chapter if not the while document.

I would not worry about the middle connection between the pairs unless some issue develops.

Back