diy solar

diy solar

Battery Day is Coming...

@svetz Your dated.
With the UK Power license, one key component is bi-directional from Tesla EV's an Powerwalls. In fact, this is part of the whole home solution, which I am surprised they did not make that connection at Battery Day meeting but then again it is not a "battery day" subject as such. Remember that Tesla has been working on their own "Smart Home Solution" which is everything from the panels to Powerwall to the EV & Grid plus all interconnected with Smart AC Panels. This is part of what they are licensing in the UK and trying to make happen in the USA as well. V2G/V2H is being addressed through that. BTW: A Side benefit of the New 4680 Cells will handle V2G/V2H high amp transfers with considerable ease compared to current battery packs because they can Charge/Discharge at much higher rates.

... Your dated....
Shhh! If my wife finds out I'm well past my "use by" date she might replace me!

In #29/#40 I was just reporting what Elon said about V2G, but like anyone else I have filters too ;) so judge for yourself.
Otherwise I agree with you... they are pursuing VPP with powerwalls and somewhere I posted about Tesla's first trial VPP success. Now the FERC has paved the way we should start seeing something in the U.S. In listening again at 3:03:30 they did say their future cars would support bidirectional flow. Musk says just after that he thinks the utility will be low.

Last edited:
Personally I don't think it would be hard for a program to understand normal driving patterns to ensure you always had power enough and a way to reserve power if you knew you wanted a trip. Of course, it would be awful if folks couldn't evacuate a natural disaster because their cars didn't have enough power.

That is why nobody used it when they did put it on cars.
I would think some people could use the car battery at night for house energy then charge for free at work or at the mall.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/36612/of-course-michigan-dealerships-are-trying-to-block-rivian-and-other-ev-makers-from-direct-sales[/URL]

I'm just happy to be 100% OFF-Grid without Power Co Hostage Fees and their shenanigan's. Wish I could own & drive an electric 4x4 but they'll only be available when I'm gone, so too bad. A "car" here only has use in Summer, not in Winter.

That is why nobody used it when they did put it on cars.
I would think some people could use the car battery at night for house energy then charge for free at work or at the mall.

I guess I'm one of those freeloaders that could do that. My work site provides free charging stations. Would I do it? I would have to balance the cost savings at home with the decreased battery life due to the more frequent charges. I doubt the numbers would come out in favor of using the car as a power source at night.

I guess I'm one of those freeloaders that could do that. My work site provides free charging stations. Would I do it? I would have to balance the cost savings at home with the decreased battery life due to the more frequent charges. I doubt the numbers would come out in favor of using the car as a power source at night.
Yay. Someone that finally connected the dots. The number of times I've tried explaining to people that using the car as a battery is the same as winding kilometres onto the meter when it comes to battery life only to have blank stares come back at me is depressing.

...The number of times I've tried explaining ...only to have blank stares come back at me is depressing...

That's because it's a moot point with the bazillion mile battery coming out in 3022.

But if the power goes off and I don't use my car to keep my clock going how will I know when it's 3022!

But if the power goes off and I don't use my car to keep my clock going how will I know when it's 3022!

Oh, just check the sundial in the backyard.
cool1.gif

I was kind of expecting the next lithium. Or that tesla was going to hire Rob Murray and from now on Teslas were going to feature mud-sand electrolyte lowering prices, rendering themselves affordable to third-worlders like me. I know two things, first I am disappointed. Second, I know I can't blame them for it.

Could this larger cell be the new thing?

I have no idea if this speculation about the BFC is true but it is definitely plausible.

Do not expect other companies to come up with that chemistry & combo. As for format size, that may happen, tabless design is also a possibility but it would be a couple of years at least for others to R&D it. This did not just "pop up overnight" it's been worked on for a few years.

A 'no BS' look at the larger cell size format. Some people may find this interesting, others may end up in the corner having a sook ;)

*edit*
Please use your intelligence before posting, clearly Dave is referring to the cylindrical cells when he is saying prismatic when he talks about thermal management.

Last edited:
What!!? You've been anti-tesla through this thread and now you post a Tesla fanboy video explaining how great the tech is? ;)

Yeah, fanboi. :LOL:

OK. Since you asked...
actual fanboi: OMG OMG OMG TEESSSLLLLLAAAAA BATTERY IS SO BETTERERERERERER THAN EVERYTHING ELSE IT DESTROY ALL OTHER CAR
reality: Tesla manufacturing is only just catching up with where pouch cells have been since day one

✅ ;)

I lost track of the number of times he said how cool or amazing it was. ;)

...Tesla manufacturing is only just catching up with where pouch cells have been since day one...
You mean the pouch cells they couldn't get when they first started (because every other car manufacturer uses them) and wouldn't have had a business if they waited and were clever enough to innovate solutions around the problems? Just like then, one of their biggest problems is still getting enough batteries.

Last edited:
It's ok svetz, I know you are disappointed that Tesla is only just catching up to where pouch cells are, despite Musk repeatedly beating it up for all he's worth but really, you should be aware of what he does and how he works already. ;)

- Magic rocket commuter travel
- super economical tunneling system that results in a rough hewn pipes not even suitable for use as a sewer line let alone mass transit
- New never thought of before revolutionary vacuum tra hyperloop
- .... well I'm sure you know the long long list 'new' and 'revolutionary' things that are complete BS that follows on from here

Back