diy solar

diy solar

Battery Day is Coming...

The Q-Fix.png

The Q-Sters out themselves, leave them alone, the 3% are unworthy of discourse. Let them stew in their deluded fantasies and alternate realities while believing they have superior "something" over the rest of the universe.
when-youre-arguing-with-a-fool-make-sure-he-isnt-doing-the-same-thing-quote-1[1].jpg

When a Q-Ster is Threatened or their beliefs' are shown to be pure malarkey, they immediately go into BULLY mode and start to:
tumblr_nun6jpICFw1tf48o1o3_500.gif

And of course the more frightened of being exposed for their own ignorance, the louder they get !

TOO SUBTLE ?
I should hope not.

Last edited:
And if driverless taxis don’t freak you out how about driverless 18 wheelers! ?

There where self-driving 18 wheelers (with a driver just in case) in Colorado before I left. They were on the I-25 corridor from North Denver to Colorado Springs. Never heard of an accident with them; but left the state for entirely other reasons (mostly the white and fluffy things) so no idea how it went.

Last edited:
It all depends. I have seen some pretty nasty truck accidents caused by driver falling asleep, including near misses on blind spot lane changes. The data I have seen suggests a trend toward less accidents with autonymous hardware.

I just hope they get full autonomous driving going in the next 15-20 years..... by then I will be old enough that I should not be driving.... but will probably be that guy that insists I can still drive..... If they have full self driving my wife can turn it on and let me pretend I am driving!!! ?

18 wheelers may be the first place full-autonomous vehicles become common. The 'easiest' to automate is driving on divided, limited access highways.... and that is where a huge number of the big-rig miles are driven. Even if the truck has to meet-up with a human driver and let them take over for the last miles on city streets, an autonomous truck could be quite economical.

Along those lines, there have been discussions of networked 18 wheelers that caravan at full speed but nearly bumper to bumper. The network would allow them to share sensor data and operate safely in this mode but since all but the first truck is in the slipstream, they are operating much more efficiently (better mileage) than they would individually.

How soon will any of this be robust enough to trust? I don't know. However, if you would have told me 10 years ago we would be as far along as Tesla is now, I would have laughed. I am cautiously optimistic it will be sooner than later.

I saw that Amazon got approval to deliver packages by drone. It's hard not to imagine bloody pets and children. Or at minimum, damaged packages and drones.

I saw that Amazon got approval to deliver packages by drone. It's hard not to imagine bloody pets and children. Or at minimum, damaged packages and drones.
I have often wondered about the economics of drone delivery. If the drone requires a pilot, then you are paying a 'driver' to deliver one package at a time. With a truck, the driver is carrying a lot of packages to the same area so the labor costs are amortized over many packages.

Autonomous drones would change the equation, but how would the drone decide where to place the package? That seems like it is beyond current AI.

Perhaps some hybrid model would work. The drone could be autonomus till it reaches the destination and then a pilot directs the final delivery. That way the 'driver' could be handling many drones and is only involved a small fraction of the time for any one of them. If an AI is watching the delivery, it could learn about the delivery spot for a particular address and not involve the pilot for future deliveries.

I think the economics of them will be terrible, once people start shooting them down and entangling them in mist nets.

Rather odd that two subjects juxtaposed in Filterguy's above post happen to be the two subjects that I've personally had very strange, disorienting reactions to, once I personally encountered them.
1) Wife and I picked up chinese takeout in Mill Valley, and drove to the Sausalito waterfront and parked on Bridgeway for an evening million-dollar view of the City and bay while we slurped chow mein and wolfed pot stickers. Windows rolled down, nice on-shore breeze, various languages being spoken by international tourists (we play 'what country'), soft sounds of gulls and wake crashing along the shoreline. Suddenly, a growing buzz begins to take everyone by surprise..louder and louder piercing the evening calm, everyone looking up trying to understand what the hell is going on. Someone on the back of a tandem bicycle is manipulating levers as they coast by, a drone high above capturing video of their travels along Bridgeway. Everyone was motionless, stunned...no one was smiling or pointing, just a common look of shock on everyone's faces. I'm sure we were all on the same page of bewilderment...annoyed, invaded, dissonance and as the minutes passed, basic anger. I'd imagine it is a lot like how we now view second-hand smoke, or even spousal abuse, when these things were societal norms a few decades ago. That momentary disruption of everyone's evening at the expense of someone simply wanting to 'capture' their holiday was a very interesting, but upsetting reality check for me, and as libertarian as my tendencies are, the public should never be forced to endure ANYONE'S drone..there's a time and place for everything, so don't abuse it. About a year after that, my town banned private drones within city limits, after a drone was spotted/heard over one of our elementary schools. The public is not ready for routine drones in our airspace/headspace, Amazon or not.

2) While 1) was disturbing and took a few days for me to sort out, it was poor preparation for the second topic I witnessed. I commute on the 80, and usually early enough that I can hit the HOV lane before commute hours and coast at 78 (haven't had a ticket in 7 years, knock wood). Wind warnings were in effect, up to 40 mph gusts, and the car was fighting the whole way from home to work, a struggle to keep it centered in the lane. I had to swerve to miss cardboard boxes and other debris tumbling across the freeway, and had to keep my full wits for any unexpected event, because today was the day I had only heard rumors about: someone asleep at the wheel in a Tesla. I was rounding the curve at Fairfield, fighting the change in wind direction, when I glanced over at the white Tesla S, and noticed his head was cocked to the side...a double-take, and I saw his mouth was wide open, he was out like a light. I slowed to his speed (about 76 in the lane right next to me) and followed with him as we both took the curve. It dawned on me that honking could have a negative outcome, so I went back to my own pace and passed, but was stupified. In fact I was ill. Between Fairfield and Vacaville, a down comforter was rolling across the freeway. Outside of Vacaville, a double mattress was on the shoulder with its corner in the fast lane. I had to call home and friends to tell them what I just saw, and how shook up it made me..it actually took a few days to come to terms with what I saw. It's hard to convey, but when you experience it, the dissonance you feel can be overwhelming, and we aren't even dealing with tragedies here..just things that you never expected to experience, and never had to be in a position to rationalize the event. Honestly, I think I would be far more capable of responding to actual tragedy than I did to these two events. Both represented a loss of control, one a simple inconsiderate disruption, the other a full trust of your life to someone else's algo. Sometimes I long for the good ole days, lawn darts, pull tabs and cut-offs. This is the humor section, so this debbie downer will now exit the thread. ;)

...I was rounding the curve at Fairfield, fighting the change in wind direction, when I glanced over at the white Tesla S, and noticed his head was cocked to the side...a double-take, and I saw his mouth was wide open, he was out like a light....
Just before I left, Colorado had made pot legal. I'd take your sleeping idiot versus the pot smoking driver any day (not to slam Colorado, there are probably more drunk drivers here. Like you, it was shocking to see my first one). At least the car's brain wasn't affected by the snoring and didn't feel the need for speed.
tenor.gif

Last edited:
Sadly, the ONLY Fix for Stupid is the Pine Box they eventually end up inside.
A Driver's License is a PRIVILEDGE not a Right....
Privileges are given to those Responsible Enough to Handle it. Taken from the Irresponsible.

Like Having Social Freedom & the Right to do things, own your own property etc, comes with "Social Responsibility" too !
But so many "seem" to think that Social Responsibility is not their Responsibility, it's someone elses.

Look at the Covididiots without masks and trying to infect people... NOT Social Responsible, NOT responsible for themselves nor for their families or friends. If you have a Covididiot friend and they make your spouse/child sick and then die's as a result, will THAT Coviditiot still be your friend ? or will you use them for Target Practice ?

Just before I left, Colorado had made pot legal. I'd take your sleeping idiot versus the pot smoking driver any day (not to slam Colorado, there are probably more drunk drivers here. Like you, it was shocking to see my first one). At least the car's brain wasn't affected by the snoring and didn't feel the need for speed.
tenor.gif

Yep, there are plenty of drivers under the influence here. You can smell it going down the road when you get behind some cars.

Back